7 | A (Literal) Fluff Chapter

Jin Kirigiri had given his approval of the full project after visiting the shelter for himself.

The rescue apparently saw the arrangement as an honor, and they'd volunteered to staff an animal daycare at the school for those times when students couldn't watch their pets. They'd volunteered to provide such a thing free of charge in exchange for getting to use Hope's Peak's endorsement to advertise itself online. Everything was working out even better than Kiyotaka could have anticipated, and he liked to dream big.

He was now at the door to the very establishment, ready to meet the owner and peruse some of the potential adoptees. He could hear the animals from outside. It was a chorus of barks and meows and tweets. Chihiro was already waiting for him inside, and he'd said something about waiting for "the others". Kiyotaka knew who one of these guests would be, as he'd been involved for a while now, but couldn't imagine who else Chihiro could have invited.

The smell of animals greeted Kiyotaka as soon as he had swung the door open, and the place was kind of loud and overwhelming, but he knew that he would adjust. Chihiro waited by the front desk and smiled as soon as he saw him. He waved.

"It should only be a few more minutes," he said, fiddling with his skirt. Kiyotaka suspected that he wouldn't have to wear one anymore any day now.

Chihiro's guess was correct. The first of their invited guests to arrive was the only one that Kiyotaka had been expecting. And he definitely had a way of announcing himself.

"Tremble, mortals, for it is I— he who bears the evil scarlet eye!"

There was a loud, booming laugh as the door was thrown open. Most of the animals fell silent as if in reverence. Kiyotaka sighed.

Gundham Tanaka always made a hell of an entrance.

"Hi, Tanaka-san! Thanks so much for your help!" Chihiro sang. Gundham settled down almost immediately, and his malicious grin vanished. He was usually serious when it came to animals and their needs.

"...It is no matter, truly. This project will provide loving homes for many abandoned and neglected beasts. To be involved is a genuine honor, and I must congratulate you, Ishimaru-kun, for your forward thinking in generating this idea."

Kiyotaka waved the compliment off.

"I-It's nothing, really! It was based on some suggestions from other students. I just did most of the legwork. ...Did you, er, receive my messages? I'd really appreciate your help..."

Gundham winked and nodded slightly.

"The task should pose no problem. I have a good read on the personalities of your targets, so finding the right demonic familiar for each one will be a simple matter."

Chihiro raised an eyebrow at Kiyotaka. He hadn't realized that they were already going pet shopping. He trusted his friend, though, and so he didn't say anything.

"If you don't mind my asking, who else are we waiting for?" Kiyotaka asked after the trio had chatted for another few minutes. The suspense was killing him. Gundham laughed darkly.

"I took the liberty of summoning two of my former allies in battle." That meant I asked a couple of my classmates to tag along. "I shall not reveal my hand too early. It would bring about calamity." But I want to keep it a surprise.

The next couple of minutes felt like hours to Kiyotaka, who stared stubbornly at the door. He nearly jumped out of his skin when the doorknob turned. Then, another familiar face entered, and he had rushed forward and seized the newcomer in a hug before she even had time to register his presence.