Chapter 1:Tea isn't for Me

A/N: Hey! Jinx here, as well as my Shadow we are writing this together. This is such an amazing way to bring our story to life we will make sure updates will stay pretty consistent. We want our readers to comment- please don't hesitate. Hope you guys stick
around for chapter two!
)))))•(((((

" Variety?" My mom said as I entered the kitchen. The kitchen smelled strongly in of coffee. " Good morning, Dear."

I smile in reply and scrunch my face. My eyes frantically search for the freshly brewed coffee- merlin knows I can't function without it. Despite being British, tea was not for me. " Morning Mum," I said as I kissed her on the cheek.

I poured my coffee while mum set the table. Awkward silence filled the room while she read the newspaper. Well at least I felt awkward. " So muuummm. . ." I think I made my voice a little too enthusiastic.

She pursed her lips. " This better not be about your acceptance letter." I could tell she was annoyed.

" So there is a letter!" I hooted.

" You know the rule, V bird." She sipped her tea. " I cannot tell you if you have been enrolled in Hogwarts. You'll receive your letter just like everyone else- if there is indeed a letter at all." she winked at me.

I grinned. Sweet merlin, I'm going to Hogwarts! I leave my seat and give me mum a bear hug.

" Calm down Variety Dear, sit and eat your breakfast." She said, patting my back. " There is. . . something I must speak to you about. About Hogwarts." her voice was terse.

She must think I can't handle myself. I can! . . . I know I can. But why, of all times, would she wait to speak to me about this only a week before I turn eleven?

" Hogwarts is a wonderful place dear," she sipped her tea, " Full of mystery, adventure, wonderful creatures-"
" Besides filch." I interrupted.

" Yes, Argus is- well- you know." She smirked with a twinkle in her eye. This was a facial expression people called the Dumbledore smirk. " Just remember while at school. As Albus- I mean- your father says. ' happiness can be found even in-"

I join in and complete the phrase with her in unison. " the darkest of places. If only one remembers to turn on the light."

" Mom, I can handle myself. I was raised by the most powerful wizard in history, and the most talented witch Hogwarts has ever seen."
My mum looked a little smug at that, her ego always amuses me. I have been mentored by many brilliant magic folk. My parents both work at Hogwarts but wanted me to have a normal childhood. While they worked, I was babysat by different professors, the Malfoys', and the Snapes'. They taught me a lot. My Uncle Snape taught me much about the outside worlds of both muggle and wizard.

" I know you can handle yourself." She said firmly, her 'mum' voice. " You must be careful because of your special abilities. Your father and I have always had to keep you rather sheltered because you often lose control of your magic."

Unbeknownst to her , U.S would give me invisibility potions and take me out. He also taught me magic when he wasn't supposed to. ' For safety. You have to be able to defend yourself.' he reasoned.

" There is another matter," my mum began. " The Malfoys' are throwing a coming of age ball for Draco. They have asked if you would be his date."

" his date?"

She nodded.

" Why me?!" Uncle Snape would let me practice dueling with his daughter (and my best friend)  Jade. The Malfoys' never let Draco and I duel. His father would say, ' one day you will, but today is not that day.' He always talked in a silky voice and i had developed a crush on Draco's dad when I was little. He never seemed to mind, even teased me about it when i got older, although Draco was of course revolted.

" It's tradition for purebloods, and who young Malfoy's date is, is important for public appearance. You are the daughter of two very important magicfolk. You have a somewhat high place in society. You would make Draco look good basically-" she waved her hand and frowned. " I don't really understand it but your Father says it would do well to ease the tensions better our families professional relations."

Why would Draco want me to be his date while he knows I have a crush on his dad?

" You know how they are, Dear. I am a half-blood and I'm sure with all the 'important' wizards there, you'll be sure to hear some snide comment. Always remember who you are and be true to yourself and be proud."

Mum had tried to explain blood status and the aristocratic life of purebloods but I think I'm simply too young to truly understand it. I never picked up on the supposed 'bigotted behavior' Lucius had, but my Mum sure didn't like him.

" We'll talk more about the ball later, I've got to go." She murmured and took my empty coffee cup from me and took it to the sink. " remember to do your laundry." She kissed the top of my head.

I hugged her again. " bye Mum." I watched as she transformed into a cat and disappeared from sight.

I thought about the ball as I dragged myself up the stairs. The Malfoy's had a lot of social gatherings, I never went to any. My parents kept me away from many Witches and Wizards. I suspected why, i had seen the Malfoy's quite cruel to houselfs.

Although they were always kind to me. ' your power will excel beyond the reach of others.' Draco's Mum sometimes said to me in a sort of way motherly way.

While in my room i see the Snape's family owl, Saturn , with a letter. I let the bird in and gave it a treat. Taking the letter from it, I open it to read,

[

Variety,

I am so excited to go to Hogwarts with you. that is if you get a letter ~ but of course you will - how could you not?
Anyway-
Draco is having this ball. He won't stop bragging about it. We're both invited, my dad doesn't seem too happy to be going- you know how he is about socializing. His family seems to be under the impression that he likes you. Crazy right?
We'll go dress shopping before the ball- I can't wait.
— J.L.Snape

]

Jade often wrote to me . Almost every day when I wasn't at her house.

" She must tire you out." I said to Saturn, the owl.

" I don't mind."

I heard the words in my head- like I always do. Although I had never been able to talk to owls before. I'll have to tell mum of this development and add owls to the list of animals.

I looked at Saturn curiously. " Don't tell Frostbite I can understand you. I want to surprise her." Frostbite was my owl.

In my mind I understood the words I was saying. But distantly I could hear my own voice- speaking some language I've never heard before. Dad said it was always like that on the outside. That's why I had to really try and keep my gifts secret, an ancient family of dark wizards were known to have a similar gift and my parents didn't want people to target me because of my magic.

I, unlike any wizard or witch before me, could talk to animals.