Chapter 5: PS I'm Shedding

I'd been working through my hair with the curling iron when there was a knock at my door.

"Come in!" I shouted, moving onto the next curl.

"Ceriiiiseeee! Wait, where are you?" Darling cheered.

"In here," I said, hoping Darling would know I meant the bathroom. She found me a few moments later.

"SHUT UP," She laughed, putting her hand over her mouth. "Cerise Hood is curling her hair! Call the presses! Call the MirrorCasts! Call Blondie Lockes!"

I blushed, twirling the curling iron through another piece of hair.

"Daring will love it," Darling smirked.

"Shut up," I smiled.

She took the brush from the bathroom counter next to me and brushed it through the ends of her hair quickly. "Oh em gee, are you shedding?" Darling looked at my hair-filled brush in a jokingly shocked tone.

I laughed, coughed, and almost under my breath said "sort of."

I unplugged the curling iron finally and pulled my hood up, fixing my hair underneath it.

"Ready?" Darling said, taking a selfie of us on her phone in the mirror.

"Let's do this." I smiled, prepared, without showing my teeth.

Darling and I exited the room and then strolled down the hallway. We caught up with Dexter at the end of it.

"Anyone hungry?" He asked.

"What are we eating?" Asked Darling.

"Some type of steak, I think," he murmured.

"Mmmmm...." I hummed.

"OOH! Remember that time when you got a rash all over your face and arms because of an allergic reaction to the steak marinade?" Darling laughed, telling me the story.

When we got to the top of the staircase, we could see Daring at the bottom. He and Dexter were in pretty similar outfits, both in blue dress shirts, jeans and nice, clean sneakers. Daring's was a much lighter shade of blue than Dexter's Royal blue shirt.

"Wow, Cerise... You look... Nice," he complemented me as I walked down the stairs a few steps ahead of the twins to catch up with my best friend.

"Thanks, you too," I said, casually, as if we did this type of thing every day. I was trying to convince myself not to be embarrassed, considering Darling had predicted it. I prayed I wasn't overdressed... I mean, Daring was in his usual dazzlingly clean sneakers, and I was in shiny black wedge heels I've only ever worn once of twice before. One of those times being Legacy Day...

He showed me where to sit at the table, next to him and across from the twins. Queen Charming was seated next to the twins, and the King at the end of the table.

Although I usually don't, I folded my napkin and politely laid it on my lap. Then I crossed my legs without even thinking about it, but it's never been natural.

The castle waitstaff brought out fancy silver platters with steak, mashed red potatoes, and mixed grilled vegetables. They divided and distributed the food and placed it neatly on plates for all of us.

"So, you're Red Riding Hood's daughter, the one I've heard so much about! Cerise, is it?" King Charming said. It felt weird to be talked to by a king. Well, I'd talked to Raven's dad before but it never seemed like they were a royal family when I was at her house, despite the fact that it's a castle.

"Yes, Cerise Hood," I smiled sweetly, shaking his hand.

"Cerise is a beautiful name," Queen Charming stated. "Nice to meet you! Do you have any pets, by any chance?"

"Yes, I have a direwolf pup. His name is Carmine." I love talking about Carmine, actually, even though people always find the fact that I own a wolf pup strange.

"Is he here? Did you bring him? I'd love to meet Carmine!" I'd never imagined a Queen loving pets so much. I wonder if they have any pets, other than the ones the kids have back at school.

"Yes, he's in the guest room, I hope that's alright-"

"Of course it is!" Her smile, as well as the King's, were a beautifully blinding white, just like their son's. Didn't have to worry where he got that from.

"We hope you like steak," the King stated as I was served the sizzling, seasoned steak. "If not, we can get you something else."

"No no, that's alright. Steak is my favorite!" I full-toothed smile and then tried to cover it. "Mmmmm," I sniffed the smoky air above my plate. "Thank you."