Chapter 2: Doesn't He Slay Dragons or Something?

I met Daring again by my locker, which was across from his. He took my suitcase from my hand, even though I hadn't been struggling with it, and hefted it up onto his shoulder. "Ready to go?" He asked, smiling again.

"Yeah, hey, thanks again for letting me stay at the castle," I said. I really did appreciate it.

"Well, of course. What were you gonna do, hang around your dorm room forever after? Plus, it gets a little boring around the castle with just Darling and Dexter. They're sort of losers," Daring explained.

"Nah, they're not. They're pretty cool."

"Alright, if you're ready, let's go," Daring said, leading me out to the school parking lot, hidden from view by a line of leafy green trees. Not many people use it, just teachers and a few students lucky enough to know how to drive, and have the privilege of owning their own car. I probably won't get a car until.... Well, I probably won't even ever get a car. Hoods don't use cars, our village is small.

There was a yellow brick pathway leading to the parking lot. For a second there I almost forgot Daring had a car. Wow, that was foolish. Daring's a Charming- Charmings have everything.

"This is it," Daring said, motioning to his surprisingly-not-gold, light blue, shiny, sporty car. It just looked expensive. Wow.

Arrroooooffff, there was a sound from the edge of the woods. A familiar sound....

"Carmine!" I laughed, running to the line of trees and scooping my pet direwolf up. "Oh my gosh, Daring- can he pleeeeeaseeee come with us?"

"Um, but... He's a wolf... And you're-"

"What? Scared of a little direwolf? He's like a little puppy, he couldn't hurt a fly!" I held Carmine up close to his face, and he tickled it with little wolf-puppy kisses, just like he had for me a few moments before. Daring flinched and gritted his teeth. Um, he's a prince, doesn't he slay dragons or something?

He loosened up, laughed, and then pushed him a way. "Admit it, he's adorable," I smirked. Wolves are great- we melt hearts.

"So....?" I pushed.

"Fine, fine. My mom loves animals anyway. Just- don't do that again. Ever....."

I celebrated, dancing my little wolf-inspired victory dance.

"His breath smells," Daring whimpered.

"WELL SOOOORRRRYYYY I DON'T GET TO BRUSH HIS TEETH EVERY MORNING!" I joked.

Daring opened the light blue car door on the driver's side, and I opened the passenger side. I let Carmine into the back, and he sat obediently on the back bench.

My MirrorPhone rang again, and this time it was Darling. So I picked up, and there was a loud screeching-squeaking noise from her end.

"HEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYEEEEEE, I hear you're staying at the castle this week! THAT'S SO GREAT!" She screamed.

As much as I love to talk to Darling, it's so not the time. I was hoping to talk to Daring about his girlfriend....

"Yeah. Hey, shouldn't you be leaving too?" I asked her.

A car horn beeped behind us, and I turned around to see. We'd pulled out of the lot and not too far behind us was Darling and Dexter in their car, Dexter behind the wheel, and Darling waving her blinged-out MirrorPhone at me.

"THIS IS SO GREAT!" She yelled.

I crossed my legs and uncrossed them anxiously. A billion excuses I could use flashed through my head. "....I totally forgot! Gotta feed Carmine, talk to you later!" Seemed like a valid excuse.

"K! Bye!" She hung up, and I took out a container of nutritious dog food, and poured it into a red bowl for Carmine. I set it down on the carpet floor, so that in case it spills, it won't leave gross, crunchy, find-in-your-seats-for-years-after crumbs all over.

"Did you just feed him dog food?" Daring asked, laughing at me.

"Yes! Wolves need nutrition too!" I also giggled but my laugh sounded barkish so I stopped.

"So wait, you know how you're the daughter of Red Riding Hood?" Daring asked suddenly.

"Only my whole life," I said, as if it was totally natural. What is he trying to say, exactly?

"Yeah, but, doesn't that mean the Big Bad Wolf should have a son or daughter? I mean, the story can't just end, right?" I fidgeted uncomfortably in my seat. He looked at me seriously again, blue-gray eyes shining with curiosity.

"Uh, yeah, sure, I um... Sure, I guess...."