Chapter 4: Sparkly!

Only a few moments later, we arrived at Charming Castle. The sky-high castle, built from gray-gold stone, was a breathtaking sight. It sparkled in the fading light, almost like Daring's teeth. Did everything about the Charmings sparkle?

"Here we are! What do you think?" Daring asked, turning off the car engine.

Pushing open the door, I shouted, "woah. This is.... Wow. It's a lot.... Bigger than I imagined it. And sparklier!"

"How big did you imagine it would be?" Dexter said, as he and Darling got out of their car.

"I dunno. I live in a cottage. This isn't no ordinary cottage," I laughed.

Darling asked, "Wait, your house doesn't sparkle?"

I just shook my head, giggling. I stood up outside the car, opened up the back door, and let Carmine out after I attached a long, red leash to his collar. I pulled my suitcase out of the backseat also.

"Come on! You have to see the inside of the castle!" Darling yelled, grabbing my hand and dragging me into the castle. I could barely see where I was going, I was just trying not to trip and fall flat on my face.

The first floor of the castle was coated in a shimmering white tile. The walls were white and spotless. Every aspect of the castle seemed to glow in either white, blue, silver or gold.

Darling could probably tell that my struggle to not trip would just escalate as we approached the tall, curving staircase. She let me follow her up one side. It was one of those two sided ones, the ones you always see on movies and in mirror TV that are in mansions and fancy castles (like this one). They, too, were made of glimmering white tile.

When we finally finished all (what seemed to be) ten thousand steps, I could see that the second floor corridor was much more gold and blue themed. Attached to the corridor were six long hallways.

"Down each of these hallways is a bunch of rooms just for the person who's name is on the outside," Darling explained.

The plaques, in order, read "KING", "QUEEN", "DARING", "DEXTER", "DARLING", and "GUEST".

"Come on, we're at this end." Darling showed me to the hallways we'd be occupying. "So this is one would be yours, right next to mine!"

I strolled down the hallway, reading the doors. A bathroom, a closet, a free room, the bedroom. Ah, finally.

Darling rushed ahead of me, pushing the big white door open. "Ta daaaaa!" I stepped in and took in my surroundings. "You like?"

The floor was covered in the familiar white tile, with a few fuzzy, white area rugs. The furniture was white, and the curtains were gold. The bedspread was also gold with silver accents. Next to the door leading to the closet was a low white coffee table and two armchairs, one gold and one silver, with a big, fluffy, snow-colored couch separating the two. The room also contained a desk, dresser, two nightstands, and a large armoire. It seemed fit for a king. Or, well, the king's children's guest.

"Wow, this is enchanting, Darling! Does the whole house look like this?"

"Better, actually."

"IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?" My jaw dropped.

"I guess it is," she laughed, "okay, now, dinner is in a little while so get fairest and I'll meet you here a few minutes before!"

I nodded, feeling overwhelmingly light on my feet, considering all the light-colored, sparkling decor.

Darling left, and I let Carmine off his leash. "Now, be good, okay Carmine?"

He woofed a yes and scampered towards the back of the room, curling up on one of the area rugs.

I zipped open my suitcase and carefully removed my black sundress. It had tee-shirt sleeves and a lace waistline. My fanciest red hood and black wedge heels would complete the most charming look I could throw together to meet King and Queen Charming themselves. I laid the outfit out carefully on my bed.

Should I curl my hair? I thought to myself, picking out my curling iron. Yes- if there was ever a time to curl my hair, it's now.

I haven't showered since before Bookball practice, to its probably a good idea to do that. As I turned the shower on, I had not a worry in the world. Not even my wolf secret, that normally gnawed at my emotions every second of every day. It was a good feeling to not be worried for once in my life.