Chapter 12: I Think Love is Fearless

Much more of that tawny-white color has been growing into my hair lately. My teeth are getting dangerously sharp. My eyes are turning gold earlier in the evening now. My nails grow so fast that I need to clip them every other day to keep the claws away. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hide it- but the dress fit perfectly. What a pleasant surprise! The silver belt fit nicely around my bellybutton, the red and black floral skirt flowing when I turned and twirled. I had bought just-above-the-ankle black buckled boots just to go with the dress.

I reached into my basket purse and pulled out a small, red, drawstring bag that was dotted with black paw prints. I always kept it with me, it was far too important to me to have it ever leave my person. It was a heart-shaped locket my parents had given me for my birthday this year. The outside had a few tiny paw prints engraved into it, and the inside contained a picture of my family. Paw prints were my secret favorite accessory- I liked to throw paw prints into my outfits on occasion. They hinted at the not-so-scary-wolf half of my life. The Wolfs aren't really so scary. I don't mind them. I know they mind me.... But that's beside the point.

I carefully lifted the locket out of the pouch and clipped it around my neck. It fell beautifully mid-chest.

I also put on a silver braided-chain bracelet that Raven had given me for Christmas in a Rebel's Secret Santa exchange. She'd also gotten me a jar of chunky peanut butter, just the way I like it, and a paw print charm to clip to my basket purse. I'd eaten the peanut butter and the charm was still hanging from the left side of the basket handle.

The bracelet and locket really completed the look. Unfortunately, it looked better without my short, red hood... But there was no other option. The hood must stay on, no matter how cute the perfect party outfit looked without it.

My outfit wouldn't be the focus of the night anyway. If all goes as normal, I'll be sitting in a corner being mostly antisocial and not talking to many people except for Raven and Darling. Even though Daring and I had become great friends sometime after Thronecoming, I didn't see him much at parties. He's a very busy and social kind of guy, opposite my shy, quiet, secretive existence.

The focus of my night, and maybe topping everyone else's lists too, would probably be the big Dizzie split. I just hope all goes fairy well. Although Daring is usually very hush-hush about his relationships, I'm not sure he can keep this one a secret. It's best for him and for me, but I'm not sure if I can afford to be the key component of another secret, especially one with such dramatic consequences.

I thought of Darling. She'd said I was lucky to have a guy that liked me. She said Daring does stupid things. I know these could sound like Daring wanting to date me was a big mistake and I wasn't good enough to anyone else, but coming from my best friend I knew that wasn't what she meant. She meant that I should handle this situation with caution, but also run with it like a kindergartener with scissors- dangerous, reckless, forbidden and free.

So that's what I'll do. I'll be fearless, because I think love is fearless. My love is fearless. I'll fall with no regrets, I'll be unbroken. I have the strength in me to be a better me than I've ever been. So I'll do it. For Darling, for Daring, for Raven and Dexter, and for myself most of all. I'll do it for my parents, the first rebels, and for Raven, the first Rebel of our generation. I can barely even walk into my house without seeing an annoyed-eyed hood or disapproving wolf. They don't realize I'm on their side- both sides. I'm sick of letting my fear have all the power. I won't tell the secret but I'll live as if it doesn't control my life. It won't any longer. Destinies can't tie us down to a life we refuse to live.