Chapter Four

"Hey, dad, I'm home!" Theo announced as he opened the front door. His father was sitting on the couch, reading a book because they didn't have television yet.

"How was- why are you wet?" Henricus slid a bookmark in the page he was at and set the book down. As he was doing this, Theo went to the kitchen and grabbed an apple to make himself look like an asshole.

"I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, so I fell in some water." He lied before trying to laugh it off.

"Okay, then get changed now. Besides, why are you eating? We're going to eat dinner in a few minutes." His father took the apple and set it back into the fridge. Theo didn't take a bite yet, so it was still good to eat.

"Fine," Theo grumbled as he went into his room and approached his dresser. It was already late. He decided to put on some clean pajamas.

When he finished changing, he left his room and took a seat at the dining table. Henricus was cooking up some chicken he had bought at the market.

"So, dad." Theo rested his head on his head, staring out the window because nothing was interesting for him to look at.

"Son." His father mocked as he ripped off the legs and set them on two plates, one for each of them.

"Can giants be good? Like, they don't hurt people?" Theo asked as his father placed the plates and silverware to their respected places.

"No, they are bloodthirsty monsters who kill the innocent. Does that sound like something someone good would do?" Henricus sat down across from Theo.

"No, it doesn't, but what if there were giants who didn't do that?" The teen poked his chicken with a knife, looking bored as ever.

"Theo, there is no such thing. Can we begin our prayer?" His father furrowed his brows at him, getting irritated about the topic.

"Oh, right, of course." Theo quickly grabbed his silverware and closed his eyes. So did his father.

"Thank the Lord for this thy food for health and strength and every good. Amen." Henricus recited before both of them opened their eyes and began eating.

"Is it possible for giants to-?"

"Theo! That's enough about this giant nonsense! All of them are bad, and that's that!" His father exploded in his face, having enough of their talk about giants.

"Dad, I'm just asking you a simple question! I know Garnier was killed by one, but that doesn't mean all of them are bad!" Theo kept on trying to defend Zelphar.

"Do NOT try to redeem that MONSTER who killed my friend, 'ya hear?!" The man's eyes were filled with fire, and smoke was coming out of his eyes.

"I'm not! Not everything is about what happened back then! Get over it already! He is DEAD, and there is nothing you can do about it!" He was giving him the same look but was angry for different reasons.

"GO TO YOUR ROOM NOW!" Henricus slammed his fists on the table in a fit of rage. The table shook everything on it, almost knocking over their glasses of milk.

Without another word, Theo ran into his room and slammed his pillow onto the bed, repeatedly. Eventually, he tired himself out and went to bed.

____

In the late morning, Theo got out of bed and got ready to meet up with his friends. When he exited his room, his father was already at work. The teen left the house, making his way through town.