~ Lost Memory

8 Weeks before forgetting

It was a rainy day. The abandoned streets were filled with small pools of water.

Blaze and I were running towards the end of the street where we saw the contours of two parked cars. When we reached them we stopped running to take a breath.

The moment I stood still, I felt the exhaustion in my feet and the cold shivering through my bones.

We didn't have time. I checked if the cars had any fuel, but no luck. I sighed with frustration and I was worried. There were four skip tracers not far from us and we couldn't keep this up forever. We were already exhausted and I was pretty sure that if we had to run any further, I would have to carry Blaze.

Her chest kept pumping air in her lungs, but she didn't seem to get a constant breathing pattern.

Her clothes were dirty from falling in the mud earlier and the hole in her jeans made it possible for blood to drip through. It wasn't a serious wound, but I knew that it probably hurt when she leaned on that leg.

I looked around me. It was night, so we could use the darkness to our advantage. The problem was that we were in the middle of nowhere.
I tried to distinguish some shapes across the street and vaguely saw that nature claimed that place. There were many trees and bushes.

I pointed towards them and Blaze nodded, still unable to say a word. She leaned forward, resting her hands on her knees.

Before I could ask her if she was okay, I heard the sound of a car engine coming closer.

Shit. I hoped I would have given us more time when I knocked one of our pursuers on his head with a metal pipe and broke the arm of another with my telekinesis, while Blaze elbowed a guy so hard that his nose was probably broken.

I started running to cross the road, dragging Blaze with me. The skip tracers finally turned their headlights on, allowing us to estimate how long it would take for them to get to us.
When we finally reached the other side of the road, they were only meters away.

I started running into the thick bushes ignoring the branches scratching my legs and face. Behind the bushes, it started looking more like a regular forest, with trees everywhere and in some places some plants and bushes.

I continued to run, grabbing behind me to find Blaze's hand, only to realize she wasn't walking behind me anymore. I turned around to look for her. But she wasn't there.

From behind the bushes, I heard a small scream.

Blaze!

I wanted to run back to her to help, but I also heard the sound of someone coming through the bushes.

I started to panic.

You can't help her if they take you too.

It was a heartbreaking decision, but I knew I was right. My judgment shouldn't be clouded by my emotions. I had to run to lure some of them to me, so she could find a way to escape while I tried to kick some butt.

Knowing that someone was chasing me, I started running again, even though my legs felt like they were about to collapse.

It was hard running in the dark. I twisted my ankle while stepping in a hole and almost ran into a tree. My throat felt like sanding paper and after a while of trying as best as I could, I knew I couldn't run any further.

I stopped behind a tree and sat down on the cold and muddy ground, angry that I couldn't get them further away from Blaze.

The footsteps behind me got closer. My pursuers clearly didn't suffer from tired legs. The running stopped and for a moment it was so quiet that I could almost hear my own heart beating in my chest.