6. Accidents Happen

5 Weeks after forgetting

The silence in the car was killing me. It had been about two hours since we left East River and no one had said anything to me. There had been a few small talks between the boys in the back, but in the front, it was completely quiet.

I checked my rearview to see Aaron and Lee taking a nap. Sighing, I quietly wished I could do the same, but I didn't want to give Buz the pleasure of giving him the wheel.

Mitchel was absentmindedly flipping the pages of an old magazine. By the way his eyes were staring at the pages, I didn't think he was actually reading any of the words. As for Buz, well, he had been observing me from the beginning and there was no difference now. No action went unnoticed. There were times that he gave me a disapproving face when he decided that I did something wrong while driving, but I just ignored it.

A sigh could be heard from the back, and I saw in the mirror that Mitchel put away the magazine. He yawned and made himself comfortable.
"Well, since you are not gonna talk and nothing is happening, I'm gonna go to sleep. Children behave," he teasingly said while closing his eyes. His breathing quickly became regular, and the silence started again.

Surprisingly, Buz was the next one who decided that he had enough with the calmness.
"Didn't I see you with that Nadia girl this morning?" he roughly asked. No, actually, he said it in a demanding tone.

"Who?" I asked with a steel face, still focussing on the road.

"Don't play innocent on me. I saw you had an argument pretty early today. It seemed... heated."

"Is that her name? I wouldn't know. I don't care about people that have no value to me."

"That's cold. So what did you argue about then?"

I felt bothered by his curiosity as if he was trying to point out anything that might be wrong. A sigh escaped my lips.
"If you must know, it was about that Yellow that you think I am following. I got the information about the red from him in a bit of an aggressive way and she didn't like that."

A grimace appeared on his face, but it was forced.

"What? Disappointed that there is nothing about me that you can snitch to Clancy?" I mocked him.

I didn't know where my confidence came from, considering I was in a car with Buz with only his shady friends around.

He seemed to realize that as well because his eyes started to spark dangerously.
"Better watch your big mouth. Clancy isn't around and it would be sad if we accidentally got in a car crash and you would be the only one to not survive."

My eyebrows shot up and the feeling of fear started to develop. I knew he didn't like me, but would he really go this far?

"You wouldn't."

"Wanna bet? I have a few friends in the back that would be happy to help me get rid of you."

I gave a glance to the back to see the sleeping boys. They may have seemed peaceful now, but that shouldn't fool me.

"Why? What would they gain from that?"

He shrugged and gave me a sly smile.
"The pleasure of having the fate a pretty face like yours in their control? The idea that it would get them a higher position? Who knows? Maybe it's just the fact that they are loyal to me, and whatever I say, they will do. Lee over there-" he pointed with a thumb over his shoulder to the boy sitting in the middle "-was rescued by me two years ago when he was thirteen. We have been traveling together since and he is basically our little brother. He would not even question me."