~ Lost Memory

6 weeks before forgetting

"Hey, so how do you exactly know when the car is going to follow you?"

"You develop feelings for it."

It was the day after Raiden's first driving lesson and he was still very enthusiastic about learning. At that moment, we were sitting in the old, dark red Subaru that we previously stole. The day prior, we cleaned it out and now the chairs weren't dusty anymore but were back to their original black. Blaze had claimed the back seat and was now taking a nap. Raiden was still investigating every motion I made in the car.

Initially, I had been hesitant to drive the car, but I started to appreciate its dryness and shelter. It was a very ugly and small car, but still. It was at least warmer than outside and we didn't have to walk endlessly. Besides, we hadn't been caught yet and there hadn't been any trace of SPFs or skip tracers.

"So what happens when you develop feelings?"

I briefly looked sideways at Raiden before turning my eyes to the road again, unsure if this was still about the car. "You just naturally find the way and get used to it."

"That's not very useful."

"Sorry, I can't really say anything else. I've only driven once before, remember? I'm just telling you what my grandma taught me and adding the little bit of knowledge that I have gained so far."

I shrugged my shoulders. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well the driving had been going so far. The fact that I didn't hit another car yet and didn't end up next to the road was making me very pleased.

"Ah, that grandma of yours. Did she also have advice on staying alive?"

"She did, actually. She knew that there was gonna be a time for us when we needed the advice and she wouldn't be there, so she gave us lessons on all kinds of stuff."

"Really? Why not go to your parents?"

"Why don't you go to yours?"
My hand moved towards the clutch while I was determined to not look at Raiden.

"Well, I told you what happened to my parents. You didn't tell me about yours."

"Am I obligated to do that or something?"

"Of course not, but I haven't heard you or Blaze mention them except for last night, I just..."

The car made a sudden movement to the right because I moved the steering wheel too hard. I quickly corrected my deliberate mistake before anything could happen. "Oops. You see? I'm also not good yet at steering the car. Luckily we are going to practice with that if we can find a big parking place."

From the corner of my eye, I could see Raiden narrow his eyes and rub his hands, but he didn't say anything. I just hoped it kept him from the topic.

"So where exactly are you planning on going?"

"Maybe there will be a closed Target somewhere or something. They probably have a big parking space."

"No, I mean after all this. What are your future plans?" he asked expectantly.

"I will try to go as far away from you as possible," I sarcastically said.