Unforgettable

Colombia University

New York City

1951

Professor Elvin Gadd walked into the lecture hall and set his materials on his desk, gazing out at his students as they situated themselves. He was clad in a suit and tie, and his eyes were concealed by a pair of opaque spectacles. His hair was neatly styled, save for a large tuft of hair which stood straight up like a candle's flame. Despite his eccentric appearance, the Professor was popular among Colombia University's students and faculty, since he taught an interesting subject—paranormal science.

The last of Gadd's students arrived and took their seats. Among them was a particularly studious freshman, dressed in a white, button-down shirt, a green bow tie, black slacks held up by suspenders and a pair of sensible shoes. A fire-engine red backpack was on the student's back. He had expressive, hazel eyes, an angular face, olive skin and a thin mustache. Also, he was the only Italian-American in Gadd's class.

It was now 9a.m. Time for class to begin.

"Good morning, students," said Gadd.

"Good morning, Professor," the students replied.

"First, some announcements," said Gadd. "We'll be having a drill later today, so don't be too alarmed when you hear the siren. Also, don't forget to indicate what you plan to bring to the Halloween party at the end of the month by filling out the forms I gave you. Any questions?"

"Yeah, I've got a question," said the class jock, Gregory "Greg" St. Clair. "Do you plan to come as you are? Because you'll fit right in, being a mad scientist and all."

Titters.

The freshman shot Greg a disapproving look, but remained silent. However, despite his quiet and reserved demeanor, Gadd sensed a furnace within the youngster—a furnace from which a self-made man might someday be forged.

"Gregory, if I said this once, then I said it a thousand times," Gadd said patiently. "I'm not a mad scientist."

Greg rolled his eyes.

"If there aren't any more questions, then we'll continue where we left off yesterday," said Gadd. "Please, take out your textbooks and turn to page 5."

Rustling sounded as the students opened their textbooks, and then the day's lesson began. As Gadd lectured and utilized the blackboard behind him, he observed the freshman, seated in the front row, furiously taking notes inside a green, spiral bound notebook. His eyes glittered intently, his tongue intermittently drawing across his lips. Greg, seated behind the freshman, was disinterested in the lesson, opting to launch spitballs at the one in front of him. Other than a few askance glares, the freshman didn't react.

Gadd drew a diagram on the blackboard and started to ask a question related to his current lecture and the assigned reading, only for Greg to interject about halfway through.

"Could you let me finish my question, please?" Gadd asked.

Greg flushed slightly. "Uh—sorry, Professor," he said.

As Gadd resumed asking his question, he saw a small smile quirk onto the freshman's lips.

When he was finished asking, the freshman was the first to raise his hand.

Gadd smiled as he locked eyes with the student. "Antonio?"

Sitting straight and tall, Antonio answered the question perfectly, demonstrating that he'd not only read the material beforehand but also understood it.