A Day in the Life

UConn

1951

A feeling of nostalgia passed over Elvin as he arrived at his alma mater. The campus was just as sprawling as ever, students milling about, some of them with books under their arms. On the quad, more students had spread out blankets for a place to sit, relax or get in some studying. Not much had changed since Elvin had graduated, and he was sure that his old professors were still teaching here, especially the one he'd come to visit.

Elvin casually strolled through the campus, allowing himself to remember his adventures and misadventures as a college student. A smile tweaked his lips as he passed his old fraternity house, where he saw a few recent pledges socializing in small groups. Then, he continued on to one of the Science buildings, which was his destination.

He walked inside and headed straight to his old professor's office as if he'd never left. At a door bearing a plaque which read "DR. KARL TASTROFF, PARANORMAL SCIENCE", Elvin paused, took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" asked a voice.

"Elvin Gadd, sir."

"Come in."

Elvin opened the door and stepped into the office, where Dr. Tastroff sat behind his desk.

"Ah! Elvin," greeted Dr. Tastroff, rising from his chair. "Nice to see you again."

"Same here, Professor," said Elvin as the two shook hands.

"I see Colombia University is treating you well," said Dr. Tastroff.

"It is," said Elvin. "It feels good opening youngsters' minds to the paranormal, as you did for me. But what about you? How've you been?"

"Better than ever. In fact, I'm retiring next year." The Franco-German-American scientist's eyes sparkled. "I've decided I'm getting too old for this paranormal tomfoolery."

"I always thought you'd have a few more years in you," Elvin said softly. "The paranormal science community is really gonna miss you."

"I'll be around," Dr. Tastroff assured him, "but each generation must make way for the next one, and all that good stuff. Speaking of which—what brings you here?"

"I think I've found someone of my own to mentor," Elvin mused. "I can see my younger self reflected in him."

"History repeats, I see," said Dr. Tastroff. "I saw my younger self reflected in you when you were in my class. What about this youngster stands out to you?"

"Where do I begin?" asked Elvin. "There are so many things that stand out. He's had a perfect attendance so far. He takes detailed notes. He's genuinely interested in the material. And while he's quiet most of the time—there's something inside of him, yearning to speak up. Not to mention he's having a rough go at the university. He's the only Italian-American in my class, you see, and a lot of people are picking on him for that. And he was also afraid of ghosts when he was a small youth, just like me. Yet he's fought the fear and the harassment tooth and nail."

"Have you showed him the you-know-what?" asked Dr. Tastroff.

"In fact, I did," replied Elvin. "I gave him a tour of my lab and allowed him to handle the Poltergust 400. He took to ghost-wrangling like a fish to a worm, and he withstood the simulation ghosts' punches like a pro. When he was finished, he told me that he hopes to be more than what everyone thinks he is, that he refuses to be controlled by fear, and I think that makes him more than qualified for ghost hunting. But I've come to you about it because—do you think he's ready? I don't want to endanger one of my best students."