Getting Home Part 5

"Oh my God, do you know how close that was?"

I realized I still had the America's Voice envelope, crumpled in my hand on the steering wheel. Cold air blasted inside the car from broken window.

"Although telling Sean probably wouldn't be a bad thing, you obviously need—"

I looked over.

To see him looking back at me.

Perfectly alert. Perfectly aware. And just perfect.

It like... literally made my heart hurt to look at how attractive he was. His blue eyes were piercing, his eyelids slightly squinched in a sleepy-morning seductive look that made me want to jump out of my seat over onto his and... I—I don't even know how to describe it.

OMG STOP CRINGELORD.

"Okay, look," I said, shoving the letter into the console and trying to focus on my driving. "Can you talk to me now? Who are you? What's your name?" I turned the heater on full-blast, even though all of a sudden I wasn't so cold anymore.

"Name?" His voice was deep, but not coarse... more like hypnotic, seductive.

Pleasing.

I wanted to listen to it all day.

"Yes, name," I said. "You know, that thing people call you?"

"I... I don't know. People call me?"

Uh-oh. Even if he was just a pretty face, he couldn't be that dumb. Could he? It had to be a brain injury or something.

But his wound from last night... I don't think this guy has a problem with injuries.

"What... is this?"

He was leaning forward, lightly touching the dashboard of the Civic. His long, slim fingers gently brushed and slid along the plastic, as if he had never touched anything like it before.

Yikes.

"Uh... it's my car," I said. "You don't know what a car is?"

"Car," he said. He sounded thoughtful, like he was turning the word over in his mind. His hand slid down from the dash over the radio, his fingertips nimble as they stroked and prodded at the hard plastic.

Oh boy. What am I going to do now?

"This is probably going to be a stretch, but... do you know where you live? Do you have like a wallet or something?"

He looked at me quizzically.

"Where you, like... stay?" I struggled to think of how to explain it. "You know, your home."

He jerked suddenly in the seat, startling me. This was the first time I had seen him animated—

He was practically jumping with excitement.

"Home. Yes... must return... home." I could see the frustration on his face, and I knew it wasn't from being dumb—he was struggling to find words, any words.

Maybe he didn't speak English?

"Well, where is that?" I said.

The look he gave me was so sad, so heart-broken... I've never seen such a lonely look on anyone's face before.

Not even mine.

"Okay then... how about we go back to where I found you? Maybe there's something there that can tell us who you are."