Part 15

Sean saw the bright flashing lights reflecting in the lightly falling snow before they even turned onto Jorge's street. The cruiser's engine roared as Malloy flew down the road towards the clustered group of police cars.

Malloy suddenly mashed the brake, spinning the wheel wildly. The rear end of the police cruiser swung around as it continued perfectly straight down the street, all four tires locked, screeching and smoking. Malloy reached down between his seat and door, popping the trunk latch as the car slid straight backwards.

The trunk lid flew open.

The back of the car slid to a stop right next to where the Sergeant was standing, the trunk lid bouncing up and down before settling open at the precise moment the car came to a rest. The cruiser gave one last wiggle-snap as it settled on its suspension.

Malloy and Sean quickly hopped out, striding to the trunk and grabbing their armored vests and gear from the open trunk.

"He barricaded in there?" Malloy asked, unlatching the shotgun from the underside of the trunk lid. "Hostages?"

"Don't know yet," the Sergeant said. He was holding a tablet like a clipboard, focusing on a real-time stream from a drone slowly making its way around the house. "Nobody's talking."

"Why the overkill?"

"We're getting reports the kid left a bomb in the alleyway from that homicide this morning—took out an IDOT truck. Three injured. Bomb squad enroute for the car out front, don't know what else he's got in there. Neighbors already evac'd."

Sean looked anxiously towards the house through a barricade of flashing neon strobes of red and blue lights. A police officer's megaphone droned on in the background, trying to persuade the suspect to come out.

Ava's Civic sat out alone in the front—the back crumpled in, but still standing.

Jesus Ava, what the hell happened?

Malloy began clacking shells into the shotgun. Chk-chk. "We should let Mather try contact—his little sister might be one of the hostages."

The Sergeant nodded. "Do it."

The snow was now falling heavily, the sky dark and gray and monotone and dull. A thick and eerily  mist hung suspended between the trees in the neighborhood yards as Sean made his way through the police vehicles.

God, this is all my fault, he thought. If only I had done more.

His hands were shaking as he took the megaphone—he ignored it.

"Ava? Are you in there? It's Sean."

Sean's distorted, mechanical voice echoed through the air. It faded away, silence taking its place. Nothing happened for a few moments.

Then...

The blinds in the front window flickered.

"Ava, if it's you, just open the front door if you can."

The front door immediately cracked open. Sean almost dropped with relief when he heard Ava's voice call out.

"Sean, what's going on? We're all safe."

Oh my god, thank God!

She sounded relatively okay; scared, but more overwhelmed—not like she was under duress from someone inside.

"I need you to come outside, Ava," Sean said calmly. "If you can, just open the door, and come out very slowly... hands up and palms open, okay? But only if it's safe. Can you do that?"

Her voice was small and wispy compared to Sean's amplified distorted one. "Um... can I like, talk to you first?"

Sean looked back to where the Sergeant and Malloy were. The Sergeant shook his head.

Sean bit his lap.

It's okay, keep calm, let's just get her out of this.

"We can talk out here, Ava," he said. "Just come on out. It's okay, nobody's mad or is going to hurt you. We just need to make sure you're safe."

A dog started barking, but then immediately fell silent.

What the hell?

"Ava?" Sean said.

It suddenly sounded like she was struggling, and Sean's heart jumped. Then the scuffling stopped, and he heard what sounded like a single word, softly whispered—pendejo.

"I'm okay," Ava called out. "We'll come out if I can talk to you first... alone."

Sean suddenly spun around and quickly walked back to the Sergeant and Malloy.

"You gotta let me go in there—" Sean started.

"No way," the Sergeant said.

"It's my sister, sir. Some maniac could be holding my sister hostage. I saw what that kid did this morning to somebody." Sean's mind flashed to the exploded pile of what used to be a person. "I'll never forget it."

"Too dangerous."

"I'll take my service pistol with me."

"Oh, and give him more weapons?" the Sergeant said. "Are you insane?"

"The kid's not going anywhere," Malloy said suddenly. "And Mather says she's with him voluntarily. We can end this peacefully, Sarge. Let him try."

The Sergeant looked at Malloy warily. Then he sighed heavily.

"Alright, Pete," he said. "Alright. Guess I ain't about to stop trusting you now. But you stay in view of that open door, you understand me?"

"Yes sir," Sean said quickly, tightening his vest. "And... thank you."

"Go."

Sean hurried back through the barricade, then trotted up the driveway, making sure to take a wide berth around the Civic.

He stopped about halfway up the yard.

"Alright, Ava, I'm coming in. Alone."

"Okay," Ava's voice floated from the crack of the door.

"But we're watching you, puta," a voice that Sean instantly recognized said.

Jorge.

Sean stepped into the house, his hands out and open. The living room lighting was a soft yellowish-orange, cozy and inviting compared to the stark contrast of the snow outside, which was falling heavily and had turned the world a dark gray.

Jorge was definitely there. Along with Ava, and a yellow dog that was sitting behind them. But even further behind them and off to the side...

Was the kid.

Sean pulled his service revolver out in one smooth, swift move, taking up a shooters pose pointed directly center mass.

"Sean!" Ava screamed. "Stop it!"

"Get down on the ground," Sean said. "Hands and legs out."

The dog started barking like crazy.

Keep it together, Sean thought to himself. Focus.

"Sean, you have to listen to me, he's not dangerous!" Ava was yelling. "Just listen to me!" The barking was loud and wild, piercing Sean's ears, adding to the chaos, making it difficult for him to hear her.

The kid suddenly began walking towards him.

"Stop!" Sean shouted, his mind flashing to the gory scene this morning. "Stop right there, right now!"

"Oh my God, Henry no, stop!" Ava screamed.

"Now!" Sean roared over the barking.

The kid raised his hands... and Sean saw a flash of silver.

He pulled the trigger.

Right as Ava dove in front of him.