Part 58

Sean climbed up to the top of the mountain rubble, seeing the kid laying flat out on a patch in the dirt.

He strode angrily over to him, then nudged him with his boot. "Hey. Get up."

The kid groaned, barely opening his eyes... but gingerly rolling over, and working his way up.

Sean slowly paced, his pistol out and in hand, held down at his side. "Care to start explaining just what all this has been about?"

He heard a crunch, and swung around to see Agent Leigh creeping up.

"Go away, Leigh," Sean called out. "This doesn't concern you."

"Yes it does, Mather," Agent Leigh answered calmly, moving very slow... but still moving. "Don't do anything stupid, now—I know you're grieving."

"It's his fault, Leigh," Sean said. "I just want to know the truth."

"This isn't the way to get it."

The kid was standing, hunched over, holding his side. Sean got up close to him.

"What was it? What'd you do?" Sean said aggressively. "And why was it so important that you killed my sister? She wasted her life because of—"

The kid suddenly moved—instantly, in a flash. His hand was around Sean's throat before Sean even knew what was happening, holding out at arm's length.

"How... dare... you?" the kid growled, his eyes suddenly flashing silver. "Ava... gave her life... for this place."

He squeezed, and Sean was driven to his knees.

"Go ahead, you son of a bitch," Sean spat out through clenched teeth. His vision was dimming, his face going red and puffing up. "Do it. You've already taken everything I've ever cared about." If you hadn't come here, Ava would still be alive you coward!"

The kid's grip tightened, and the concrete under Sean's knees began to crack and splinter.

Leigh was suddenly there next to the kid.

"This is the last thing Ava would have ever wanted," Leigh whispered said softly. "Let him go."

He immediately released Sean, who stayed on his knees, grabbing and massaging at his throat, choking and coughing. There was the sudden clattering of tactical boots pattering and pacing on the rocks and bits of concrete as a group of soldiers filed onto the giant mound of rubble.

They surrounded the patch where Sean and Leigh were, all of them aiming their rifles at the kid—

At Henry.

Henry dropped to his knees, his head down, as the sun finally fully rose into the orange, morning light.