Part 25

"Henry, wait," I hissed.

He had already started towards the Civic. I grabbed his hand, my fingers brushing against the broken handcuff bracelet that was still on his wrist. I felt that same wonderful tingly feeling go through my arm and body when our skin touched, like a low electric shock—

Then I saw my wrist was glowing.

It was where he had grabbed me when he first jumped in my car. God, was that only this morning? I could faintly see the outline of where his fingers had gripped me.

"It's okay, Ava," Henry said. "It's safe."

I looked up from my wrist—the figure that had been standing next to the car was gone. I hadn't gotten a good look, but the figure had been small; the head only been barely visible above the hood. The Civic now again sat alone, out in the middle of the vibrant, colorful flatness.

Had the figure only been in my imagination?

But Henry had seen it too.

You've really done it now, Ava. Good luck getting out of this one.

I sighed. It was literally all I could do. Either try to let it out, or completely breakdown, and honestly...

I don't know how the breakdown hadn't happened yet.

Keep calm, you're doing good. Still alive and breathing.

Just focus on right NOW.

Henry was watching me... patiently, still, holding my hand. Quietly. Like he knew what I was working through in my mind.

Probably did.

Oh, Henry, how could I let you drag me into all of this? How am I so stupid?

A frown flitted over his face. It was so quick and subtle that I don't think anyone else would have ever noticed it, but... I did. His face was so seared into my memory, so close to my heart already...

That I saw it.

"I'm sorry, Ava," Henry said. "I know you didn't ask for any of this. But I promise you, right at this moment, we're safe."

Can you hear me, Henry?

His caring expression didn't change—no flitting or frowning. His silver irises slowly rotated around his dark pupils, hypnotizing and beautiful to watch, open and expressive and concerned.

Guess not.

"Okay, Henry," I said finally. "Okay. I trust you. Even though I don't have a choice right now... but even if I did, I'd still trust you." I tried to keep my gaze and focus on Henry or the Civic—

Looking out at that endless void of blue and green endless plains made me feel... sea-sick.

"What is this place then?" I said. "Besides home?"

"I don't know." He turned his face to look out at the flat, featureless land. "But I know it's right. It's all so familiar, Ava..."

His hand clenched into a fist. "But I still can't remember."

I squeezed his other hand, his fingers fitting perfectly into mine.

"It's okay, Henry," I said. "We can figure it out. Together."

He looked at me, that same grateful, relieved look that I had gotten so used to and... loved. That look that always had come when I would reassure him... and when I wouldn't.

Sometimes it seemed like just being near me eased him somehow. It was that look he couldn't stop when moments like that happened... back home...

My home.