Part 27

Sean and Sophia hurried to the cruiser. Malloy had parked it on the other side of the police station, insisting that the small extra walking distance would be "beneficial" for Sean after what had happened.

Pete, what the hell am I going to do without you?

There had been no word on Malloy. Luck had been on their side for the most part, however—almost everyone had been able to evacuate before the collapse, and the underground jail facility had stood up to what had been advertised, the intake pod being the only section to sustain damage.

But six officers were still listed as missing.

And then there were the reports... conflicting reports... disturbing reports. Some kind of black oil spill? Giant mass? A solid cloud that didn't respond to ballistic weapons and climbed the walls?

Ava's voice echoed in Sean's head: Look, I don't know how to explain it—but that's what it is!

"Officer Mather?"

Sean stopped, looking towards where Sophia stood at the side of the police cruiser, holding the door open.

Fury was sitting at attention in the passenger seat.

"What the—" Sean mumbled. Fury's stoic pose broke when he saw Sean approaching, his dopey-doggy face breaking out into a huge panting smile, his tongue flopping and hanging.

"Get out," Sean said.

Fury's head cocked to the side.

"Out." Sean gestured.

Fury jumped in the driver's seat.

Dude, really? Sean sighed, opening the rear passenger door of the cruiser.

"Fine."

Fury barked once before darting out and running around Sean to hop into the back seat.

Only Ava could find all these weirdos, Sean thought.

Then felt a pang in his heart.

"Let's go then," he said, gently closing the door.

The cruiser roared to life, the exhaust blaring and snarling before settling to a low, pleasant rumble. The dashboard slowly brightened, illuminating Sean's face as he and Sophia buckled their seatbelts. The giant digital terminal in the center panel began to boot up, clicking and whirring as system information and hardware checks scrolled faster and faster down the dual screens, filling the interior of the car with a dim, blue glowing flicker.

Sean suddenly slammed the car into reverse and floored it.

The tires tried to bite into the wet parking lot pavement. The car jerked violently, shooting backwards in shuddery fits-and-starts, chirping and barking the entire way in protest. The rear of the cruiser slammed into the front of a patrol car that was parked behind, the corner of Sean's bumper crumpling against the other car's bull-bar.

"Sean, what are you doing?!" Sophia shouted, grabbing frantically at the passenger handle above. Fury yelped in surprise.

Sean hissed through his teeth. "Sorry."

He carefully put the car into drive, slowly creeping forward. There was a loud POP! as his rear bumper snapped free from the other police car.

The cruiser slowly and ashamedly exited the parking lot. Sean cautiously weaved his way through the maze of parked police vehicles. Cars, trucks, vans, cruisers—emergency vehicles of all types lined both sides of the dark and empty streets, the amber streetlights above reflecting off their wet paint and casting a cold, orange haze that hung in the air.