Part Ten

Ryan ran down and made us each a cup of hot chocolate and then came and sat by me on my bed.

"How's the foot, Rose?"

"Much better, since you're apparently a doctor now." I said chuckling.

"Now how's your heart?" He said narrowing his eyes.

"What?-"

"Come one Rose, you're not a good liar. You need to tell me what's up. You can't just keep bottling things up like this. I don't like to hear you cry."

"I don't like crying either. I've just been really stressed out lately and things have been a bit much. I think I'll be okay though. Don't worry Ryan, sometimes I'm just overly emotional."

"Rose, you're not really overly emotional. I know that. But I'll leave you alone about this, I'm just here to help, and if talking's not what you want to do right now, I'm okay with that." He replied, while taking a long sip of his hot chocolate.

"Yeah sometimes words can't fill the void."

Ryan came and sat closer to me. He grabbed my hand, which was still shaking from anxiety. He looked into my eyes, then down at my lips, ever so quickly.

"You're still shaking-"
"I'm fine, just still a little woozy from that blood episode."

"Yeah, you sure you don't need a real doctor?" He said, winking.

"I'm all good." I smiled.

He took my hand into his, and kissed it. I shivered at this notion, spellbound.

"Are you cold Rose?"

"Um, just a little." I lied.

He grabbed the blanket from the end of my bed and set it over both of us. We both just sat there in silence, in our own worlds. I wanted to know so badly what he was thinking. When we were in middle school, I had always had a crush on him, but as the years went on I believed we would only ever be friends. We were becoming so much closer through all of this, all of this suffering. I guess sometimes that's what draws you nearer to people. It's only when they're vulnerable, raw, real, that you really see them for who they are.

Suddenly, Ryan was right next to me. He leaned in closer to my cheek and touched his lips to the fair skin on my cheek. Then he placed his palm around my neck, and let his lips just barely graze my own. Then he kissed me, and I felt electrified. I gripped my shaking hands around his wrist and we parted. His eyes were still closed, tears falling from them. What had we done?

"Rose, I, I've always wanted to do that."

"Ryan, I think I need a doctor now."

"What? Why?" His eyes were wide.

"My heart... it's racing." I replied with a smirk.