Part Thirteen

Our date in the field was one of the best days of my life, I couldn't even fathom the fact that Ryan had actually asked me out. I finally received what I had wanted since like middle school,  I was finally dating my best friend. Ryan and I talked all about his counseling sessions, and how he was finally starting to feel like himself again. He explained that his dad sat him down, apologized to him, and promised to never lay a hand on him ever again. He even said that his parents had calmed down with their fighting and he and Eve were doing their best to not make things any worse.

            "Okay, now that we've talked all about me and my life," Ryan said, smirking, "how have things been for you?"

            "They've been pretty good. My parents just think there's something wrong with me. They were all dramatic this morning. They pulled the whole 'honey we're worried about you' thing."

            "Well do they have a reason to be worried?"

            "No, no they don't."

            "You sure?"

            "Yeah." I was being so vague that I  was almost annoying myself.

            "Hey, now Rose, if we're going to be dating, you've gotta keep me updated on your life, " he was trying to lighten the mood, "so you know, if you ever want to tell me anything, go for it."

             I smiled, grabbed his hands, and then slid into a pinky promise. He smiled, looking to the side again. I was beginning to realize that this was what he did when he didn't want to so obviously express his emotions. I tried to turn his head towards me with my hand, but he resisted.

            "Ryan!" I said laughing.

            He shook his head, glanced in front of  him and then got up and began running. Before I knew, it, I was kicking off my heels and running after him.

            "Ryan! You know I can't run as fast as you!"

            Even though I was losing my breath, this was the most fun I had running, ever. I never understood runners, what were they chasing after? A little white line at the end of the race? I finally broke into a stride and set my eyes on Ryan, directing my attention on catching him. Before I knew it, I felt my ankle twist and then I heard a small crack and I was down. Crap. Ryan turned around expecting me to be right behind him, but instead I was about fifty feet back, clutching my ankle.

            "You okay Rose?" He asked, jogging towards me.

            "Yeah, I'm all good!" I said as I began to stand up.

            As soon as I put weight on my right leg, I was back onto the ground. Ryan's face turned red, and he sprinted over to me.

            "Now I'm hoping you do better with this than blood?"

            "Yeah, I'm sure I'm fine. It's no big deal" I was blushing once again.

            "Rose... I don't know. Seems like you can't even put weight on it."

            "Um, I'll be okay, don't worry."

            "Rose... If you're okay, then stand up." He was smirking once again, man did this look kill me.

            I stood up on my left leg and then slowly allowed my weight to bear upon my right foot, barely letting it flatten. I decided all was well and then finally balanced completely on both feet. As soon as I did this, I fell to the side, wincing at the pain. My eyes began to water immediately as Ryan caught me. He slung me on his back and began walking towards our picnic blanket.

            "I think I packed some ice in there, it was originally for the waters, but I guess your ankle works too."

            He was unusually calm, and I didn't even answer because my ankle was literally throbbing all the way up to my knee. I couldn't let him know that it hurt this much, I felt like such a bother. What had I done? It had been such a perfect date, first date at that, and then I just had to fall. He set me down on the blanket, grabbed out the ice, and immediately pressed the coldness onto my skin. I wanted to scream, just that small amount of pressure he was putting on it was killing me. I grabbed my thigh to distract myself from the pain, but it wasn't working. I tried not to show my discomfort, but Ryan, being insanely perceptive, reached out his hand and let me squeeze it.