♣ Day 8 ♣

YOU WERE AGAIN late in coming

I hate waiting but you were worth waiting for.

I took a sip of red wine, thinking about you. Even in my thoughts, the pain that bothered me was still there. I tried to hide it but it won't be erased.

My face resting in my hands, lips set in a thin line, quiet muted.

"Hey, Hey!" A lady appeared in front of me. I raised my head to look at her.

Her beady eyes' gaze flickered to me. "Goodness," she said, voice smooth and melodic. "It's you."

"Aera?" I blinked.

"Long time no see," she said.

She was your friend.

You were two strangers met as kids who didn't know what friendship was but ended up being best friends.

"How are you?" I asked with a smile gracing my features.

"Amazing." she answered while someone else caught my eyes.

You walked over the table and watched us with your umber and solemn eyes. They traced my and Aera's appearance.

My curious eyes continue to gaze at the benevolent creature I have fallen for.

"Hey Aera!" You smiled and hugged her briefly as you talked about simple things.

"You have matured," she said.

You two looked so comfortable with each other. I felt like I was in the wrong place, as if such comfort was only meant for others. I couldn't help but glare.

I softened as I saw that beautiful box-shaped grin of yours. It was hard to keep myself from hurting.

Hurting because it was not me who made you smile.

She didn't even know it. I was jealous but happy because you were happy. Your joy was worth my tears that I lost and every note that I sang dedicated to you.

In truth, I liked pain.

I liked pain because I believed I deserved it.

I stole a glance, too quick, too urgent, though this heart wanted more.

Your lovely eyes met mine, intense, rich in colour. Burning with an unknown feeling or maybe it was just an expression.

You were once mine and I was once yours. But all I did was to hurt you.

Your heart was healing while my heart was bleeding. Letting you go was my choice. Couldn't taste the bitterness of regret for what I did.

Praying for your happiness, hoping I would heal too in time. A wounded soul like me should let go of a perfect man like you.

For it was the only thing that I could do.

Letting you go.

Unlike me, she won't hurt you.

"Enjoy. I'll be right back," I was smiling widely and my heart was roaring.

I got up from the chair and walked inside the restroom.

I vanished from your sight and so did my smile.

I leaned my forehead against the closed door and finally blinked, shutting my eyes, I felt the tears wanting to escape so I shut my eyes tighter.

My Euphoria was my melancholy.

We were just not compatible like fire and water. You were destined to shine while I was destined to rot in the darkness alone.

Calming myself, I opened the door. You were standing in front of me.

Did you know your gaze made me nervous?

Your eyes were crystalline, they were penetrating straight through my defenses like a silver-tipped arrow.

"Are you okay?" You placed your hand on my shoulder. Your touch lit flames across my skin. They danced and twirled in joy, I cried and trembled in pain.

I was breaking, I was falling apart and wanted nothing more than to die.

"...I am fine," I answered.

"You don't look fine."

You understood me even without having me to say anything. "I am ready to divorce," I said, fighting a smile on my trembling lips.

I looked in your eyes. The anger was nothing but a shield for pain, like a cornered soldier randomly throwing out grenades, lonely, desperate.

You stormed off unaware of my teary eyes fixed on you. I remembered the rose that you gave me.

It was dead now and I was supposed to be the same.

I remembered your words 'All I want is to love you' that you said to me one perfect day.

Everything has an end this did too.