Chapter 2

After spending the night in constant fear and sleeping for only two hours, I finally woke up. My wrists were still sore.

I looked up to the windows but there was no scope for sunshine, as the clouds had engulfed the sun. It was dark, gloomy and bleak.

I got up to take a look outside, through the window, because last night it was hard to see anything. Glancing down, I saw a big garden, with giant trees laden with beautiful flowers. On the side, amidst the hanging trees was a round pond. In the middle, a Moss covered cobbled pathway led to a small gate.

Though the garden was beautiful, there was something eerily disturbing about it.

Dejected, I turned round, fell on my knees and started crying. "Why did this happen to me? I was just living my normal life," I asked, even though I knew there was nobody that could've answered me.

Suddenly, loud footsteps filled the quiet atmosphere with commotion. I dreaded. For I thought it was that man. But the door opened and an old lady entered. She was carrying a tray with tea and jam toast on it.

"Here is your tea," she said as she put the tray on the table.

Without wasting a second, I ran towards her and pleaded, "Wait, please help me! This man has kidnapped me! Please help me!"

She pushed me away and walked out of the room. I banged the door but it was futile.

I was distraught and my spirit was giving up. I looked at the classy tray--a fine piece of crockery, bone china cup, saucer and shiny cutlery. I picked up the toast, licked the jam off it and slowly took a bite out it and I hated that I had to eat like this.

Hours went by but nobody came. I paced up and down the room, searched through cabinets, thinking I could find something. All efforts ended up in vain.

Finally the door unlocked and the same old woman appeared but this time with a red dress in her hand. "You must get ready," she ordered. "Here's a dress for you," she pointed to the dress and hung it on a hook on the wall. "Master is waiting for you downstairs," she whispered and left the room.

"Master?" I wondered.

Was it the same man or a different one? I had no idea what was happening. I could only follow the orders and keep going along with everything.

Reluctant and seeing no choice, I put the red dress on. It was a long, sleeveless satin dress. I felt disgusted in it as I looked at myself in the mirror. I thought about worst scenarios in my head. Wild thoughts shrouded my mind.

I knocked on the door but it was already unlocked. The old lady must have left it open.

It was a long hallway. I looked both ways. One side had a dead end, while other led to a staircase. I followed the stairs. Upon coming downstairs, the old lady greeted me and took me to a big room. "Go inside, the master awaits you," she said as she ushered me in the room.

I looked around and the man was standing near the window, looking out at the garden.

I shuddered. Last night's vision came to my mind. I rubbed my wrists, the pain was still there. "What should I do?" I thought.

He turned, looked at me and seated himself on the chair.

"You look lovely," he said and took a drag off his cigarette.

I stood in my place firmly, like a statue, too afraid to move or react.

"Come here," he directed to the sofa.

I followed the command.

"Do you know why you're here?" he asked. His tone was heavy and raspy.

"No," I replied.

He stood up and started walking, "You don't know me but I've known you for a very long time."

"How does he know me? I have never seen him," I thought to myself.

"I know you work at that little coffee shop in the town. I have been there so many times. I have watched you work your heart out. You even served me one time," he smirked. "Remember that big tip that you got? he asked, his cigarette in his hand, "Yeah that was me."

I listened to each and every word attentively, trying to figure out the meaning behind his words and expressions. He had been stalking me and knew all about me. The old fear came over me, my heart was thumping.

He went near the window and paused for a second, then started, "you know everything was going great. You were behaving like a nice girl--but for the last two weeks you haven't been acting so nice!" he snapped.

I trembled and bit my lips. His voice changed from normal to threatening.

"You were hugging and kissing this sleazy guy. You even went out in his car," he snarled. Tossing his cigarette away, he walked towards me--came too close to my face and whispered, "I suppose he must have fucked you then?"

His hot breath and intoxicating perfume sent shivers down my spine.

The guy he was talking about was Jake. We had started seeing each other recently and I liked his company. We did kiss but that was it. Jake wanted to take the relationship a step further but I wasn't ready, and he respected my choice.

I wanted to explain myself and exonerate myself of his false accusations--but who was he? I didn't need to clarify anything to him.

The sudden wave of courage and pride gave me a strange strength and I picked up the glass of water and splashed it in his face. I knew this would trigger him, and a blow was inevitable.

"You!" He screamed and grabbed my neck from behind and dragged me to the wall. "Let me go," I cried. "Shut up!" He spat and shoved me into the wall.

He had trapped me in his arms and I struggled to move. "This is my mansion and you do not disrespect me in here," he declared. "You need to be punished for your mistake," he continued and pushed me into the nearest table.

"Now put your hands on the table and bend over it," he growled.

"Please let me go," I begged.

"I said bend over!" He yelled.

I had no choice but to follow his order. Tears overflowed as I nervously put my hands on the table and bent. In front of me was a bricked wall that had a picture of two lions fighting. My back was exposed to him and I felt vulnerable. I could hear him taking off his jacket and rolling his sleeves up.

I feared for the worst. My heart was beating out of my chest when out of nowhere he wrapped his hand around my upper arm and made me stand up.

"You are lucky I didn't use my hand against your ass," he growled.

His intense gaze roving over my face as I gasped for air, slowly, he loosened his grip and released me.

"You should think twice before making me mad like that." He dragged me out of the room. "Agnes, take her to her room and give her a bath," he handed me over to the old woman and left.