Chapter 17

Turned out, the real reason why Damian had taken me shopping yesterday was this big party, that he was throwing at the mansion to celebrate his recent business deal.

"I thought he didn't have friends and hated these things," I asked Agnes as we sat together in the dining room and ate our breakfast.

"He doesn't," Agnes replied.

"Then who is he throwing this party for?" I asked.

Agnes took a sip of her tea and started, "It's just for the people in his company, his business partners."

I raised my eyebrows in a derisive way and asked, "But why?"

"To put on a show, to pretend to all those people that he's normal," she replied and sighed. "You see, I have been here for so long, and I have seen many parties in this mansion. It's an old tradition with the Blackwoods to throw these lavish parties. Mr. Blackwood once threw a party for the entire town." Agnes paused and looked at the empty plate, as if a memory from the past had struck her. "I still remember that night, it was a festival."

Hearing about parties from Agnes, reminded me of the last party that I had attended. It was my twenty third birthday, and jake, my friend, who could've been something more than just a friend, had thrown for me at this small cafe, just three days before Damian entered my life and turned it upside down.

I held back the tears as I thought about how different my life would've been if Damian hadn't kidnapped me.

"Are you fine?" Agnes asked me after sensing the change in my expressions.

"Yeah, I'm good," I assured her.

"You know, Damian took over the family business soon after Mr Blackwood's death, and he was quite young and didn't know much about parties, but now when he's twenty-nine years old, he's matured a lot and knows everything," Agnes said, and smiled with pride in her eyes.

As the day progressed, hordes of people started coming from outside. Helpers, servants, maids and decoraters were called in to clean the mansion and get it ready for the evening bash.

Professional waiters, bartenders, top chefs from the best and most luxuriously expensive restaurants were hired to serve the best quality food.

Agnes personally supervised everything--as she believed that a single mistake could cost the Blackwoods their reputation. "You are not cleaning it properly," she scoffed as she scolded the timid maid.

Seeing so many people working in the mansion made me feel strange, for I had become used to the cold silence and empty halls. Though they were all here to do their jobs, it still managed to bring some sort of life inside the dreary place--even if it was just temporary.

I could've tried talking to someone and told them the truth, if their faces hadn't told me so obviously that they have been given clear orders to not to talk to me, under any circumstance.

The sun was going down and all the preparations were finally coming to an end. I stood in the centre of the hall and looked up--massive crystal chandeliers dangled up at even distances across the ceiling. The grey walls were brightly lit up with beautiful golden sconces and wall lamps. The entire area was filled with the aromatic smell of fresh orchids, tulips and roses.

It looked heavenly.

While I was busy staring at the exquisite decorations, I saw some guests had already started coming. I turned around to leave, and Agnes was right behind me.

"Go and get ready," said she, giving me a light pat on the back.

I walked towards my room upstairs and thought, "Why am I doing this?"

But then I remembered how it was Damian's strict order that I should be present in the party. I wondered why..

I inhaled deeply as I entered the room and locked the door behind me. With my back against the door, I looked over at the red gown, that was spread out on the bed. It was the dress that Damian had bought for me yesterday. I don't want to wear it...

After minutes of deliberations inside my head and convincing myself that I had no choice but to attend this party, I finally wore the gown.

As I stood in front of the mirror, I saw how different I was looking in that silk evening gown, that hugged my thin figure tightly. My skin had become more paler than usual, almost bloodless, giving me a ghost like appearance. This was the most expensive thing I had ever worn in my life. But no matter how pretty the gown was, the light in my eyes was missing and it pained my heart.

"Are you ready?" Agnes asked knocking on the door.

I gave my wavy hair some quick flicks of the brush and let them fall carelessly over my shoulders before replying, "Yeah, I'm coming."

I opened the door. Agnes was dressed in a full-sleeve, simple, dark blue dress. "You look pretty," said she softly as she looked at me intently. "You look good too," I replied with a smile on my face.

As Agnes and I climbed down the stairs, I noticed how packed the hall was--there were so many people, elites, rich businessmen, women wearing posh dresses, high-class people carrying champagne glasses in their hands and feasting on all that sumptuous banquet. I felt nervous, for all this was new to me and I thought I wouldn't fit there.

"You go there, I have some work in the kitchen," Agnes released my hand and left. Before I could try to stop her and ask her to stay with me, she was gone.

What will I do here amongst all these people?

A morbid nervousness seized me as I stood there and glanced awkwardly at the people around me.

However luckily for me, none of them paid any attention to me as they were all busy in their conversations. I felt relieved after thinking how I wouldn't have to face anyone. As my eyes surveyed the hall, I noticed a solitary sofa in the dimly-lit corner. Nobody was sitting on it, making it a perfect place for me to go unnoticed in the party. I sprinted towards it and sat down on the soft-cushioned sofa. It's just a few hours...and then this godforsaken party will be over...

The corner also gave me a perfect view of the entire hall--I watched and observed how all those ultra rich people had these fake smiles on their faces. Every expression, every small movement of the hand was filled with arrogance and vanity. I felt sick to my stomach as I realised how plastic they all were.

They are probably here for all the expensive drinks and food... I thought.

"But where was Damian?" I wondered.

Speak of the devil...

Damian was finally here. My heart raced anxiously, and my cheeks burned with unknown panic as I saw him enter the hall, wearing an all black three-piece suit, but he wasn't alone--there was a woman with him.