Chapter Forty-Two

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

"Loki, I don't know if-"

"Daddy!"

McKenna sighed as Selig came running down the aisle in the middle of the Throne Room and launched himself into Loki's arms. His timing was perfect, as she and Loki were in the midst of a heated debate over whether or not he should go see the Vanaheim delegation off. She had no idea Annelie was still in Asgard, and it infuriated her to no end that she was, and the last thing she wanted was that bitch anywhere near Loki.

"What're you doing here, little man?" Loki asked, shifting Selig to one arm.

"Miss Elke said I could leave early because we finished what we had to do." Selig looked from him to McKenna and back. "What's wrong, Mommy?"

"Nothing, sweetie. Daddy and I were just having a discussion, that's all." She glanced up at Loki. "What does the Allfather think?"

Loki sighed, setting Selig down. "He thinks the two of us should go. He doesn't know what happened with her and I'd rather not tell him."

"Oh, no, why should you? She only tried-" She pressed her lips together as Selig looked up at her.

"What did she do, Mommy?"

"Nothing, sweetie."

"Loki, are you ready to go?" Odin came into the Throne Room from his private entrance, dressed in his dress armor, complete with golden helmet. "They are leaving soon."

"I'll be ready in a few minutes, Allfather." Loki stepped back and with a flick of his hand, his clothing went from the casual leather leggings to his more formal black and green leather armor.

"Daddy, where are you going?"

"I have to go with Bestefar to see off the guests from Vanaheim." Loki swept the helmet from his head to plunk gently down onto Selig's head. "Want to come?"

"Can I?" he asked, peering up at McKenna from the depths of the too-big helmet.

She smiled and nodded. "Of course."

Loki grinned at her as he lifted Selig once more. "I'll be back in a little bit, McKenna. And then we can head home."

Odin sighed softly. "I do wish you'd reconsider, Loki. It makes me uncomfortable, you and McKenna and the children being so exposed."

"We'll be fine, Allfather," Loki said, winking at McKenna as he fell into step alongside Odin.

McKenna sighed as the doors to the Throne Room swung silently shut. She couldn't wait until they were back in New Jersey and she didn't have to deal with Annelie again.

***

"Daddy, is she really leaving?" Selig asked, using one hand to tilt Loki's helmet further back on his head. "This is so big, Daddy. You have a giant head."

"Thank you for pointing it out," Loki grinned. "And yes, she is really leaving."

"Good."

Odin paused. "Why do you say that, Selig?"

Loki held his breath as Selig peered up at his grandfather. "She calls me 'sweetie' and tries to pretend she's Mommy. And she's always touching Daddy. Always."

Odin's blue eye fell on Loki. "And I suppose that's why McKenna hit her again?" he asked mildly.

Damn. Loki nodded. "More or less."

"I see."

Selig looked up at Loki now. "Mommy hit her?" The helmet wobbled on his head and he held it with one little hand again. "Did she?"