Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

One of McKenna's favorite spots in Asgard was on the balcony of their chambers, where she would sit and gaze out over the Asgard Sea. Loki lost count of how many nights he'd wake up to one of the children crying and would peer up to see McKenna sitting on the ledge, nursing, the very picture of serenity.

She had no idea how many nights he stayed awake, just lying there, watching her. She had no idea how he watched and marveled at his great fortune in finding her, in being the man she wanted to be with. Some days he still couldn't believe when he awoke and found her lying beside him, more often than not snuggled in his arms. And when he woke to find her nursing Selig or Aislinn, he found himself falling in love with her all over again.

That happened on a regular basis. Sometimes it was as simple as catching a glimpse of her smile, or hearing the silvery melody of her laughter. Other times, it happened at the most intimate of moments, when she wrapped herself all around him and he was spent and sinking into her warmth. He loved his Midgardian with a ferocity that frightened him sometimes and even now, she need only touch him, needed only to brush his hand with hers, and he couldn't breathe. The simplest of touches made his heart beat faster and when she melted against him, it was all he could do to not pinch himself to see if he was dreaming.

He sighed as he stepped out onto the terrace and walked over to the ledge. Clouds blocked most of the stars and the Asgard Sea was rough, whitecaps stretching to the edge of the realm. From his vantage point, he could make out Heimdall's gatehouse, but he'd already worn out his welcome there, as he haunted Heimdall to keep him updated on Selig and McKenna.

The marble pillar was cool against the back of his head, as was the night air. Selig's fourth birthday was only ten days out and all he wanted was his son home to celebrate it. All he wanted was for Selig to come home safe and sound.

Then he would take great pleasure in killing Grant Ward.

"My lord?"

He turned to see Eir in the doorway, with Aislinn in her arms. "Come in, Eir." He swung his legs down from the ledge and stood. "Is something wrong with her?"

She shook his head as he came over to them. "No. But I thought you might like the distraction."

Loki smiled as he took his daughter from her. "Of course. It's about time she woke up."

"This one sleeps well and you should never begrudge that, my lord," Eir scolded with a hint of a smile.

"I don't." Loki gazed down at Aislinn, who smiled up at him, and he brushed her wispy black hair back from her forehead. "Are you giving Eir a hard time, princess?"

"No, she's fine. But it's time for her dinner and I thought you might like to feed her, since Princess McKenna usually does."

Loki swished one hand and Aislinn's high chair appeared. "Of course."

"And bath?"

"I think I can manage, Eir." He grinned at the healer. "We'll be fine."

"Of course you will." Eir patted his shoulder. "If you need my assistance, you need only call me."

"I will, Eir. Thank you."

After Eir left, he brought Aislinn out to the ledge and settled back into his spot, shifting her to one arm so he could give her a bottle. As Aislinn went to work, he smiled, imagining what McKenna would say if she saw him.

"If only everyone could see you now, o'fierce God of Mischief," she'd say and she would sit beside him, her cheek resting against his shoulder. "No one would be afraid of you, if they could see you like this. Such a mush when it comes to your children."