Chapter 1

"How's your birthday so far sweetie?" Dad's eyes were still on the road when he asked, he's taking me somewhere special this year, but I can't focus on that, it seems like I can't focus on anything lately, I'm becoming more and more like my dad.

"Good. I'm having a lot of fun."

"What does it feel like to be six?"

"Big! I feel big!" I lied. I don't feel big at all. I feel small, I feel lonely, like half of me is missing, but I always feel like that.

"That's great sweetie. Hey, are you okay?" I wasn't okay. I was thinking, and I had remembered something, a boy, a brother.

"Dad, who's Peter?"

"What?" He turned around to look at me, but that's not what caused it, it would have happened anyways.

There was a loud crack, I grabbed onto the seat as the car spun out of control into a Jeep that I didn't see behind us. After that I closed my eyes until the movement stopped. Slowly, I opened my eyes and eased myself up.

"Dad," I leaned forward to see him. "Dad." He wasn't moving, or breathing. "Dad!" I was yelling. I grabbed his arm and started shaking him, his head rolled to the side, his forehead was covered in blood, he was gone.

I pulled my shoulder strap in front of me and unbuckled myself. Slowly, but surely, I got out of the car and looked at the crash. the other driver died, but they're window was open. He had a gun in his hand, he brought this upon himself.

All of a sudden, I heard a noise, a sort of knocking, a very small knocking. It was coming from the trunk. I swallowed and reached into the car, I pressed the button to unlock the doors. I walked around to the back and opened the trunk. A smile spread across my face as the door finished opening.

"Hey there little guy." I cocked my head at the baby Chimpanzee. He walked towards me, a little reluctantly, but he came to me, reaching an arm towards me.

"It's just you and me, isn't it?" I had picked him up and was holding him in my arms. "I'm gonna have to name you, aren't I" I had to think about a name, then it came to me.

"Peter, seems fitting right?" I asked him like he would know. Then it came to me, where were we going to sleep tonight?