Chapter 4

It's been two months since Officer Woods has taken me in. He understands why I won't call him Taylor, and he didn't take me with him the first time he went to my house just to make sure tht the accident had been discovered. It hadn't been. I've gotten really comfortable here, and Peter loves the dogs. Everything's been going great, except there's these boys that call me "Orphan Annie" and pick on me. I really don't care.

Officer Woods taught me how to shoot a gun. Well, more like multiple types of guns. He calls me "Sharpshoot", I like it. It's still a struggle without Dad, but every day I get better.

"Hey Sharpshoot." Something shoved my shoulder in my sleep. "Time to get up."

"No," I groaned.

"Yes, we're enrolling you in school." I smiled. I wanted to go to school. I have a summer birthday, so the school year would be starting soon.

"What day is it?"

"Monday."

"When's registration?"

"Two O'Clock. Why?'

"Mondays are when I get more food for Peter." Peter has grown. When I first had him he could fit in my arms. Now he has to hold my hand.

"Here, take twenty dollars. You can get yourself something." I hopped out of bed and got myself dressed. If I go in early Mrs. Bankowski will let me bring Peter with me.

Mrs. Bankowski is very kind and owns an organic foods store. I've told her my story, and I guess she must've told other ladies, because my story is known across the suburb. With my twenty dollars I can buy Peter a bushel of bananas, along with the total ten dollars of the week's supply. And maybe I can get myself some organic fruit lolipops.

After the four block walk to the store I knocked on the door and only waited a few seconds before Mrs. Bankowski came and opened the heavy wooden door.

"Arielle! Back for your weekly supply?" she asked in a sweet voice.

"Mhm. Officer Woods gave me twenty dollars so I can get bananas and some lolipops," I explained as she ushered us in.

"That's great sweetie. Anything else new?" Mrs. Bankowski always asked me questions as we walked around getting Peter's food.

"Yes actually. Officer Woods has had me in his possesion long enough to enroll me in school."

"Really? What grade will you be in?"

"Second. I can't wait."

"That's great! I bet you're really excited."

"I am."

"Good. Fifteen twenty-five sweatheart." I gladly gave Mrs. Bankowski my $20 bill and took my bag, change, and Peter to the door while Mrs. Bankowski opened the door. "See you next week."