Chapter 9

"Hey, Sharpshoot, get up. You have to get ready."

"What? What time is it? I have to get dressed, I have to get Kingsley dressed!" I'm running around my room getting things out. "I need to get Copper and rehearse his tricks along with Kingsley's. Oh my gosh I have so much to do!"

"Whoa, calm down. Happy Birthday. Get ready, we're leaving to see the stage in one hour. have the animals ready." I forgot, I had my birthday before the competition.

I got myself ready as quickly as possible, so I could spend more time on the pets. Kingsley and Copper started going over their tricks as I went over what I was going to say. I'm really nervous. There's hundreds of things that could go wrong; Kingsley could have stagefright, Copper could get distracted, I could forget everything I'm supposed to do. I'm starting to see why the record place for a first-timer is 50th.

It's a two-hour ride to the venue, I'm a nervous wreck but I still dance to my radio station. Kingsley was copying me in the back and Copper was howling at the fun. By the time we got there, everyone in the car was relaxed.

"Okay, I don't know how this is going to work, so, do you want to just go in and follow what everyone else is doing?"

"Yeah, that sounds good. Kingsley, get Copper, we're going inside." Kingsley grabbed Copper's leash and waited for me to let him out of the car. He walked the dog into the building as I held his free hand.

Inside the building there were booths with name tags on top of them. A lot of people are already here, and Taylor was looking for our booth. I was distracted by a wandering animal. It looked sort of like a kangaroo, but smaller. Caustiosly, I walked up to the mini-kangaroo.

"Hey little guy," I squated down to look him in the eye, "are you lost?" He came up and cuddled my side when I started petting him. It's like he hasn't been pet in years. Then he came up to me.

This guy seems the same age as X, but about a million times more horrible of a person. This guy seems like the most arrogant person ever. Then he started talking.

"Why are you touching my pet?" This is the main reason I like to judge books by their cover, or more specifically, the writing on the back.

"The poor guy looked lost, thought I may as well make him comfortble until his owner came around."

"Well, his owner's here, so, you can leave. This Wallaroo needs to work on his form." Then I got it.

"Oh my gosh! You're the guy who's won this five years in a row! I had no idea you were such a horrible person!" I honestly thought he was going to be nice, training his pet the way I did, with smiles and celebration, but no, he's an ass. Taylor must have found our booth because Kingsley came up to get me, he didn't have Copper with him. This dude looked at us in disgust.

"Is that your pet?" He's about to cross a line.

"Yes. Yes he is."

"Then I've heard of you. You're the first timer. What does your monkey do?" I'm not going to lie, I just won't tell the whole truth.