Chapter 2

It had been a full day before we reached a city. A sweet lady approached us with a worried look on her face.

"Are you lost sweetie?'

"Not sure." I decided to be rude, there is no one to stop me. "Are you lost?"

"No," she laughed. "Where are your parents?"

I looked up, then down, then over both of my shoulders. "Not entirely sure, but they aren't here. Definitely not on Earth." With that the lady practically melted.

"Oh my goodness! You must be so hungry! How long have you been walking?" I held up a finger to represent one day. "One? One Year?" I shook my head. "One Month?" I shook my head. "One day?" I nodded. "Oh, sweetie. Come with me, we're gonna go get you some help." I nodded with tears in my eyes, Dad always called me "sweetie", and I really miss him.

The police station was small, well, small for the size of the city. The lady stepped up to a counter, I don't know what's on the other side, it's too high up. Suddenly, a man in a police uniform rose up from behind the table and stepped out from behind it. He looked me in the eyes with a smile on his face as he put his hands on his knees.

"What's your name?" The question was sort of calming, compared to the lady who had brought me in.

"Arielle. Arielle Markham." My arms are crossed across my chest, I really don't want to be answering questions.

"And who's your little friend?" I totally forgot abut Peter. He was just standing on my shoulder, holding onto my hair, I must've gotten so used to it that I didn't even feel it anymore.

"Peter. His name is Peter. I found him in the trunk of a car."

"Really? What happened?"

"Dad was taking me somewhere special for my birthday, then I heard a crack. All of a sudden the car was spinning and then we crashed into the car where I found Peter. When I opened my eyes, Dad was laying against the steering wheel. I shook him and his head rolled, he was dead. Then I got out of the car, and walked over to the other one. The driver had a gun in his hand, he had shot our tire, and then I heard the knocking. I unlocked all the doors and walked to the trunk. it took me a second to open it, but in the trunk was this little guy. Before any of this happened I asked my dad about a boy named Peter, so I named him Peter."

"And this all happened a day ago?" the lady asked. I nodded in response. Then they didthe adult thing where the look at each other and read minds or something, I don't know how it works. "Where is she going to stay?'

"I'm a registered foster parent, I could take her in."

"I don't think orphans can be foster kids."

"I'll look it up." The police man went back behind the table and I heard clicking. He suddenly came back out with a smile. "I can still take her in, she just has to be registered in an orphanage."

"But how can we get her registered? She doesn't have a guardian." Then I remembered a story my dad had told me.

"I'm already registered." They both looked at me suddenly.

"What do you mean, sweetie?'

"My mom died when I was born, and my dad was fighting with the army. He thought it would be easy to put me in an orphanage until he got back. So, I'm registered in an orphanage." I feel like I'm lying. I'm only leaving out a small detail, it's no big deal.

"Well then, you can come and stay with me. I'm Officer Woods, by the way, but you can call me Taylor." I'm not calling him Taylor. No. He's too old. His name is Officer Woods.