chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

EVIE CASSADEE was almost 10 minutes late to her afternoon shift of work at Luke's diner and frankly, she had no excuse

EVIE CASSADEE was almost 10 minutes late to her afternoon shift of work at Luke's diner and frankly, she had no excuse. Her younger siblings were already off to school, she had been up for hours and the diner was 5 minutes away from her house. It should have been impossible for her to be late. Yet here she was walking into the building 10 minutes late shouting apologies at her boss who didn't respond only nodded at her.

Luke Danes had hired Evie when she was a small 14-year-old girl looking for a way to make sure her siblings and her didn't get separated by family services. It had started as a part-time after-school job allowing the girl to help out with a few bills. Unfortunately, as time moved on Evie's parents left their kids on their own more and more, which left Evie as the sole caretaker of her four younger siblings. So as soon as she reached 16 and was able to, Evie dropped out of school, and the once part-time job shifted into a full-time position. Luke had since tried to convince her to at least try to get her degree but had failed every time. Evie was just too stubborn. She had to focus on both the well-being and making sure her siblings graduated before she could focus on herself.

"You e been wiping that same table for 5 minutes," Luke remarked walking over to her with his arms crossed over his chest. Evie who had spaced out widened her eyes stood up her cheeks flushing.

"Sorry Luke, I'm  a little out of it today." She apologized moving towards the counter to put money in the cash register.

"Yeah, I can tell. Landon in trouble at school again? " Evie chuckled nodding slightly before looking up at him realizing that his usually tense smile was replaced by clenched teeth and a frown. Leaning against the counter she pursed her lips whilst narrowing her eyes.

"Are you okay?" she questioned finally realizing the amount of tension that was built up within the diner today. Luke didn't reply to her question,  instead, he grabbed his wallet and phone and walked out of the building motioning for Evie to follow him. Raising her eyebrow she took off her apron following slowly a confused look on her face. Something was bugging him, and it must have had to do with the color blue because as soon as they walked into the market he seemed to grab every blue item insight. "Did the color blue do something to you?" she snorted when he tossed her a box of Frosted Flakes. "Frosted-" she looked up even more confused than she was before. "Like what the hell is going on?"

"My nephew is coming." Evie's looked at him incredulously.

"Shit, you have a nephew?  how long is he staying? Is he cute? Wait I take that last one back, you're buying Frosted Flakes for him, he's probably like 5." she crossed her arms over her chest while questioning him. Luke stopped his arms filled with numerous items sending Evie a glare while he sighed.

"Yes, I have a nephew." He spoke through clenched teeth. "He's 17 and his mom is sending him to live with me." Evie didn't say anything for a moment, instead, she looked at everything he had picked out to buy for him before letting out a sigh of her own.