chapter three

Evie Cassadee was sure that she was taking this argument between her and Lorelai Gilmore too far

Evie Cassadee was sure that she was taking this argument between her and Lorelai Gilmore too far. It had been nearly a month and the two had barely spoken, which was a strange occurrence due to the fact that they usually spoke every day. Still, the girl did not apologize even given the chance to while working at the diner.

Jess found this extremely amusing. As each time he watched the two interact he would hide his smirk and mutter something beneath his breath. In response, Evie would snark back at him with a glare before they secretly smiled at each other. It had become a habit of sorts. Just like Evie defending Jess had due to the fact that the rest of the town seemed to have come up with some sort of mob hatred towards him. This was why Evie along with her siblings had made the decision to invite the teenage boy over after Luke's closed on Friday night. The response however was not something any of them were expecting.

"You want me to come to help you babysit your siblings?" Jess deadpanned his dark eyes narrowed as he spoke. "And the town says I'm the irresponsible one." This time it was Evie's turn to glare, alongside River who immediately threw a french fry at the boy.

"Fuck off." he pointed his finger at the older boy sending him a warning glance. Evie shoved his shoulder as of telling him to leave it alone but River's glare didn't lighten. "Instead of being a dick, just answer the question. Do you want to come or not? The invite expires in 10 seconds." Evie let out a laugh moving to wipe down a table not missing the surprised look on Jess' face.

"Geez, I'll come no need to get out the bat-" he raised his hands in surrender before turning towards Evie who was still smirking. "You know you and all your siblings look the same when you're angry? It's very weird." Evie shrugged her shoulders tossing him the rag she was holding.

"What can I say? It's the Cassadee way." she grinned walking towards the door of the diner turning the sign to closed. "Now let's go losers." River grabbed his coat before he moved to throw his arm around his sister's shoulder. Jess followed behind them slowly as if looking for a way to escape the siblings who were quietly laughing about something in front of him but once he arrived at the small house of the Cassadee's he froze. Evie paused realizing that he wasn't moving and she turned to look at him motioning got River to go inside. "I promise we don't bite- it'll be fine."

"You want me around your picture-perfect American family," he spoke up his voice amusement. Evie chuckled raising her eyebrows while looking around.

"Picture perfect, that's a new one..." she spoke quietly her mind wandering to her distant parents before she grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the house.

Jess Mariano didn't know much about Evie Cassadee. He knew even less about her family. The only thing he remembered was that she was a high school dropout, who was insanely protective of her siblings. She never mentioned her parents, worked full time at Luke's, and for some reason always defended him against people around town. Her family responded with the same amount of love and protectiveness, and none of them mentioned their parents either. Come to think of it- no one in town had even mentioned the name of Cassadee's parents once, including Luke. Jess would have to add that to the list of mysteries that were the Cassadee family.

"Kids I'm home!!" Evie shouted walked into the house dropping Jess's hand while groaning at the mess that she hoped her younger siblings had collectively made throughout the day. "What the hell happened here?" she ran her hand through her hair moving to help Asher push back the couch that had somehow ended up in the middle of the room.

"Landon said Kimberly came home couldn't find a cab fare to get to the bar tonight ." River explained entering the living area with the youngest children in tow moving to take Evie's place in moving the furniture.

"Are you fucking serious?" she cursed. Letting out an annoyed yell. It wasn't until this moment she remembered that Jess was standing behind her watching the scene.

"I can leave you to know," he mentioned. His voice held amusement but his eyes showed that he meant it. It was clear that he knew that the situation wasn't a joke.

"Yes."

"No." Landon and Asher spoke at the same time. Evie turned her head raising her eyebrows at her youngest brother who was crossing his arms making it clear that he wanted the older boy to stay.

"We never have anybody over, can he stay please Evie?" Evie hesitated for a moment looking towards Asher who looked like he wanted to argue it before she finally gave in and nodded.

"Why don't you guys go throw a frozen pizza in the oven huh? I'm going to talk to Jess for a second." sensing the tone in her voice River pushed the younger two into the kitchen ignoring Landon's pleas to eavesdrop on the conversation. Asher however stuck around deciding to hang out by the door in case the conversation went badly.

"So who's Kimberly? Your older sister?" Jess asked fiddling with an unlit cigarette in between two fingers while raising his eyebrows at the brunette who was looking at him with an uncomfortable awkward face.

"Our mom actually ." her voice was soft but that was all she said before nodding at him and walking into the kitchen clapping her hands.

"Shit really?" a new form of tension filled the room and Jess immediately felt awkward asking the question, though he wouldn't admit it or apologize- that would probably be even worse. "Shitty parents then huh, guess I shouldn't have said perfect." both Evie and Asher snorted at the comment before bursting into full-on laughter.

"Oh yeah, we're the definition of picture-perfect, alcoholic mother, distant father who you know would be a good dad, if not for the fact that he's just cheating on our mom constantly while on." Evie raised her fingers as if they were quotation marks "business trips." she smirked.

"I didn't realize we were telling our entire family story tonight E." Asher approached her from behind shaking his head while grinning.

"That's just the basic- you want me to go into detail and talk about the rest of our shit?" she questioned with raised eyebrows." Asher immediately put his hands up in surrender backing into the kitchen with an even wider grin.

"Okay, so movie night any suggestions?" He turned around giving the two one last grin before taking to the rest of the family. Evie and Jess stared at each other for a moment in silence before walking back with Evie shouting different movies.

The rest of the night had been filled with the same amount of awkwardness it had started with, Evie was sure that the ice was never going to break especially between her and Jess. However much to her luck, she at-least had an excuse to spend time with him outside of work now- that excuse being him and Asher had hit it off somehow and had pretty much become best friends within a matter of minutes. Meaning Jess and him were making plans to play hang out most days throughout the week.

Despite the fact that she was happy with this excuse to see him. Evie was still determined to break the tension between the two of them. Jess was a good person deep down. They already had the sort of friends thing going at work.  It was just her moms looking for a money mess that had screwed things up for the friendship that they had brewing, but Evie was stubborn and she would get past it no matter what.  Because that was the Cassadee way.

sorrryyy this took so long to get up, and it's so short but it's kind of just a filler! i should have another chapter up within the next week!

hope you all enjoyed please vote and comment i appreciate all of you who do that!