𝒆 𝒍 𝒆 𝒗 𝒆 𝒏

~Y/n's POV~

We are currently in a carriage to go to Basilwether Hall. Enola dressed as a widow, while I dress in a (color of your choice.).

"Why does people are always afraid of widows?" I said. It does sound ridiculous.

"People are always anxious to avoid conversations about death. That's why widows scares them, and there's no better disguise than fear." She explains. She the wipe the tears that are not really real. I chuckled at her doings. I carry on with her play and pretend to comfort her, by patting her back. "Why don't you want to wear a disguise?" She asks me.

"I don't want to. And it will give us advantage when they found out one of us is related to Sherlock Holmes, famous for his prowess at using logic and astute observation to solve cases." I said in a matter-of-factly manner.

"Or perchaps, you wanted to show them your identity, so when we find Tewkesbury they will ask your hand in marriage for their marquess in exchange of our service." Enola teases.

"What? No! I'm using this for our advantage." I scoff.

***

"Miss Y/n Holmes and Miss May Beatrice Posy." A servant lets us in. Enola removed her vail. I fixed my dress a little. I observe the place. It was quite. I look over at the smiling Enola, I smile back at her.

"For the Lady Tewkesbury, Marchioness of Basilwether." He said before walking away. The two other servants closed the door behind us.

"What's your business here?" Sir Whimbrel asks. The walk toward us.

"We are a private detectives. We've come to offer our services." I answer simply.

"My sister-in-law has all the help she needs. Show her out." He said. A servant started walking towards us.

"We believe we can help you." I say.

"You two are a reporters for one of those dirty newspapers." Lady Tewkesbury said.

"We are lady detectives." I slightly raised my voice to assure them.

"Please leave, " She said. "before we make you leave." She continues. The servant started to grab us to escort us outside.

"We work for Sherlock Holmes." Enola yelled. They stop on their track. I give Enola a smile. "I... I'm his assistant and she... She is her sister." She said.

"Yes... Yes, he sends us ahead of time to prepare the ground." I reason out.

"Sherlock Holmes is interested in our case?" She asks. She slowly make her way towards us.

I gulp the lump on my throat before answering. "Yes."

"And he... sent a widow and his sister to fleece his path?" She quizzes us.

Enola cleared her throat. "Widowhood doesn't impact on my ability to do my job." She said. "Sherlock trusts us to-"

"Poppycock!" A man's voice cut her off. "I'm sorry, but I've heard enough. You do not know Sherlock Holmes." He said. My blood boils at his attempt to ruin the plan.

"Oh, Lestrade. So pleased you could make these young ladies' acquaintance." Sir Whimbrel said.

"I am Lestrade of Scotland Yard, and I'm a close personal friend of Sherlock Holmes." He introduces himself.

"So you claim." I said. One step closer to me I will kill him. "He never mention him." I assure Lady Tewkesbury.

"And you are not his sister nor his assistant. He doesn't have a sister or have an assistant." He said looking at us. "Sherlock Holmes always works alone." He assure them.

"He's changed his ways since you claim to have known him." I said stepping closer to him.

"Impossible." He said.

"Ask me three questions about him, and I'll ask you three, and we'll discover who knows him best. Shall we?" I challenge him. I am confident about this. He is my brother and I'm his sister, this is will be not that hard.

"Enough! This circus is not appropriate for Basilwether." The Lady Basilwether exclaims.

"She's right. Leave, both of you." Sir Whimbrel said.

"But, madam, you know me. I am Lestrade, I am from Scotland Yard, and I'm investigating your son's disappearance." He said. I scoff at him.

"He has proven useful." The old lady said.

"Mama!" Sir Whimbrel called out.

"I don't care if you're from the House of Parliament. Leave this house this instant." Lady Tewksbury said. Lestrade looked aroud. I sent him a mocking face. There is a moment of silent, the ticking of the clock can only be heard. Lestrade walked passed us. I look at the rest. My smile quicly left. Knowing that the lady also wanted us to leave.

"Us too." I said pointing to ourselves. Enola put her vail over her face. We exits the Hall.

"Thank you for having us." Enola thanked one of the servants.

***

We stood outside the hall quietly. Birds chirping can be heard.

"His favourite tabacco?" Lestrade asked.

"Black shag." I answered simply. "Favourite dessert?" I asked him.

"Plum pie." He answered. "His favourite composer?" He asked.

"Paganini." I answered. "Favorite meal of the day?"

"Breakfast." He answered bluntly. "Are all your questions about food?" He asked disappointed. "Favourite case?" He aksed.

"The one before." I answered. "Favourite board game?" I asked.

He looked at me suspiciously. "How do you know Sherlock Holmes?" He asked.

"Chess." I answered ignoring his question. "But only with a worthy opponent." I said.

He enter his carriage annoyed. We walked slowly. We saw two gardeners. Enola went towards them running. I quickly followed.

"I say!" She called out their attention. "I'll pay you five pounds... to swap clothes with us." She said. The gardeners looked at us as if we are insane. "You don't need to wear my dress if you prefer not to." She said. He nodded, but the other one does not.

"The young master, he was outside a lot. Am I right?" I asked.

"Could never get him inside." He answered.

"Where would he go?" I asked.

"The woods." He answered simply.

Enola and I looked at each other. We finally earned ourselves a lead.