Around Town

Looks like I won't be the only Stars Hollow kid to have a baby. I ran into a very pregnant Lane in town. She and Zach got married, and they are expecting twins.

She informed me that she works at the diner, but has the day off, and that's why I missed her.

She had somewhere she needed to be, so I left her with the promise that we'd talk before I left and that I'd be sure she and Lory met.

I browsed the bookstore. Of course there was a whole stack I wanted to buy, but I settled on a few and checked out.

Andrew had heard from Luke that I had written a book and was wondering if he could get some copies to sell in the shop.

I told him I'd see what I could do. I didn't really get that many printed, and most of the ones I did were distributed across the upper East coast.

After talking to Andrew I decided to drop by Doose's. There were a few things I needed for Lory and I, so I decided to get that done as soon as possible.

I don't know how things are going to go with my Mom, but if things do go South I'd hate to have to deal with Taylor in the middle of that.

I walk in, grab a basket and start wandering around the store. As I walk I end up seeing Miss Patty in one of the ailes.

"Oh! Hello, Jess. What brings you to town? Are you staying for Christmas?" she asks happily.

"Yeah, Mom just had her baby, so we thought it'd be the perfect time to come visit. Lory gets to meet her aunt and spend Christmas with her grandparents and favorite uncle."

"That's nice. Well, I better see that precious little girl of yours before you go."

"I'll be sure to bring her by."

She goes to leave and I continue to shop. After I get everything I need to go to check out. No Dean. Thank god.

As I stand in line I get a few smiles and nods, even a couple of hellos from various townspeople. For the most part they all seem genuinely happy to see me. What?

If this is all because I had a kid then I'll take this win. Thank you, Eleanor Louise. I finally make it to the front and Taylor is working the register.

"Hello, hoodlum."

"Hello, Market Man," I replied, putting my basket on the belt.

"I haven't seen you in a while. When was the last time you were in town?" he asks, as he starts scanning each of my items.

"Well, last time I was in town my daughter was about two months old and she's almost three now. So I guess it has been a while."

"How is that little tot of yours?"

"She's doing well. And you?"

"Oh, I'm doing fine. Will you be joining in on any of the festivities while you're here?"

I take my bags and give him a smile.

"Absolutely not," I reply.

Before anymore can be said I make my way out of the market and towards the diner. I enter the diner and things have picked up, but the diner still isn't super busy.

I see no Luke and no Lory. I catch sight of the wall behind the counter and see drawings and coloring sheets hung up. I smile. She's got him going soft.

I go upstairs and open the apartment door. I drop all my bags on the table and then look over on the side of the room that used to be mine.

Curled up on my old bed is Lory, sound asleep. It is about time she should be having her nap. I turn towards the bathroom door when I hear it open. Luke comes out.

"You've added some nice artwork downstairs," I say quietly, smiling.

"Shut up," he replies, making me laugh.

"Lory has been sure to add plenty of her works to Truncheon's collection and to almost every wall of the apartment," I tell him.

"How are things going with that by the way?"

"They're good. Actually, sometime before summer I was hoping to be out of the apartment. Find a place for just Lory and I."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I thought it'd be better for us both to have our own space instead of being crammed into one tiny space with a few other dudes."

"That's nice. I think she'll like it. Just let me know if you need any help moving or anything."

"I will."

I go over to my bed and lay down, curling up with Lory.