Chapter 13

Henry slipped his tweed jacket over his waistcoat, grabbing the stack of three letters off his bureau before taking a brief look at himself in the mirror to ensure he looked presentable. He'd always been taught that first impressions are always crucial, and a surefire way to make a good one was to dress smartly and look the part. Straightening out his tweed suit jacket he hummed in satisfaction at how he looked before taking off out the door and into the corridor.

Two days had passed since the day he'd arrived in Fir Creek and today, being first day of the working week since he'd arrived, meant that it was Henry, or 'Dr Dunmurry's' first day as Fir Creek's general practitioner. He'd spent most of the weekend getting acclimatising to the clinic; the equipment they had, where they stored medicines and tinctures he'd use for treatment, preparing his leather bag to make house calls which often in small towns at the time was the usual method for seeing patients.

He trotted down the staircase and into the downstairs area, continuing down the corridor that led out into the infirmary; which included the examination rooms, reception, waiting area, and his office. He had arranged to meet with Mary, who was to be his secretary, at exactly eight o'clock; thus giving them time to get acquainted before the clinic opened. Since Thomas had priorly told him that the post office in town opened at seven he figured he could easily nip round to drop his letter into the post box.

Thomas had been very helpful in helping Henry to feel at home in Fir Creek thus far; dinner was a nightly thing for them all to do together and even though it seemed small, the gesture alone made Henry feel warm and tingly deep within. And though the town's dashing young Mountie had been welcoming, he still still couldn't help but feel apprehensive about it all; would people like him as a person, but most importantly would they trust him as their doctor.

Henry shuddered as he opened the front door of the clinic and stepped onto the front porch; a wall of crisp autumn air hitting him as he felt a chill run up his spine. The air seemed to cut through the fibres of his tweed jacket; he could feel the weather changing, as though winter was only days away from descending upon the flat prairies. His hands felt so cold to the point at which he'd wondered how he'd survive the Alberta winter to come.

The wood under him seemed to creak as he stepped along, walking towards the steps that led down onto the street. He glanced down at the envelops in his hands, flipping through them to ensure he had all three and they were addressed correctly; one for his parents, one for Edward, and one for Georgina. As he walked down the footpath towards the postoffice he felt his mind race far and wide. He was excited to start working, but at the same time terribly weary of what was to come.

"Hello there." Henry flinched as he heard a familiar voice beckon him out of deep thought, paired with the sound of a horse trotting gently towards him from behind. His deep sapphire eyes shot upward to see a familiar blond haired man in a red uniform with his fitted brown trousers, boots, and a rimmed brown mountie hat; sitting regally on his thoroughbred steed.

"Hello." Henry said softly, his alabaster skin flushing red though he wasn't quite sure if it was from the cold October air or the the fact that he still found himself flustered every time Thomas was near.

"Cold out, eh?" Thomas furrowed his brows as he flashed Henry his heart melting dimples; dismounting of his horse with ease and standing before the dark haired young Doctor with his first resting on his narrow waist and his shoulders broad. "Winter's just around the corner, we can expect snow any day now." He stated matter of factly, glancing down to see the letters in Henry's dainty pale hands. "Where are you heading?"

"Oh erm, just thought I'd pop round the post office to post these before the surgery opens." Henry said casually lifting the letters in his hand with an awkward chuckle.