Chapter 30

Henry had a distinct spring in his step as he tiptoed through towards the kitchen; he could hear the sound of sizzling bacon and eggs on the stove paired with the heavenly smell of coffee permeating through the air. He was utterly beside himself with excitement, in stark juxtaposition from the day before when poor Henry was quite deep in the doldrums of his past.

He stopped just short of entering the threshold of the kitchen, peering in to see Alfie playing happily in his pram whilst Danny played happily at the kitchen with one of the toy trains Henry had gifted him on Christmas morning. Thomas, on the other hand, was busy cooking breakfast as Henry stared at the back of his head hoping to stealthily get his attention.

Thomas back tensed up out of instinct as he felt the indelible sensation of someone's gaze on him; turning his head towards the doorway he saw none other than Henry staring at him with a wide grin and a noticeably excited glow about his porcelain-like skin. Henry cocked an eyebrow questioningly, using his eyes to gesture between Danny and back at the fair haired young Constable, earning him a soft chuckle from Thomas who simply shook his head; he knew exactly what Henry wanted to do.

"Danny, love." Sang Henry cheerily whilst sauntering into the kitchen, having successfully gained the little blond toddler's full attention.

"Henwy!" Danny's face brightened visibly at the sight of whom Thomas joked was Danny's favourite person; Henry. Sliding out of his chair, the fair haired little toddler bolted straight for the Henry; wrapping his little arms around his legs and hugging him as though he hadn't seen in in ages. Which was how Danny always hugged Henry and it never failed to bring a smile to Thomas' face; he was glad Danny and Alfie were so attached to the person he himself cared for so dearly. He hadn't a clue what that meant for the future, but he reckoned he'd cross that bridge when he got there.

"Aww, good morning, love." Henry chuckled, he patted the toddler's silky soft blond hair before he knelt down to the little boy's eye level. "Come on, you. I've got a surprise for you in the drawing room." He scooped Danny up and carried him on his hip towards the drawing room; though he stopped just short of the doorjamb. "Alright, love, close your eyes for me and and don't open them until I tell you to, okay?." Henry bounced Danny in his arms, watching as the little boy nodded and covered his eyes with his precious tiny hands; Henry walked them over towards the sofa where little Leo was sleeping soundly in the picnic hamper and he sat Danny down right next him so that the wee grey kitten was the first thing he'd see when he opened his eyes.

"You can open your eyes now." Henry whispered with a smile, observing the adorable little blond boy with anticipation bubbling within him as he removed his hands off from over his eyes; his deep brown eyes that looked just like Thomas' brightened visibly as he caught his first glimpse of the sleeping grey tabby kitten nestled cosily within the confines of the picnic hamper and surrounded by warm blankets.

"KITTY!" Danny clapped excitedly.

"Yes, love. Kitty!' Henry cooed at the adorable little toddler, mirroring his excitement. "His name is Leo and he'll be staying with us from now on, or until we can find his family."

"Can I play with him?" Danny blinked his innocent brown eyes up at Henry, prompting the raven haired lad to glance over his shoulder to see Thomas silently observing them with a content gleam as he leant nonchalantly against the doorjamb with his arms folded over his chest.

"He's sleeping now, kiddo." Thomas explained gently, making his way towards Henry and Danny on the sofa. "But I'll tell you what." He whispered, kneeling down onto his hunches and giving Danny's full cheeks a loving pinch. "How about you have your breakfast first, and you can play with him when he wakes up?"

"Okie!" Danny bounced enthusiastically on the sofa cushion, sliding off of it and taking off running back towards the kitchen before Thomas could get another word in.