Chapter 25

24 December 1920

Dear Diary,

Great-Grandpapa always told us that whilst serving as Viceroy in India, the Christmas season was always the hardest to get through; with being so far from family and all. Though he often said that having a large community of other colonial officers from Britain alongside their families meant that they'd carry out the usual traditions that they would have back home, there still was always something missing.

One simply can't help but relate to Great-Grandpapa, especially as one find's oneself so far from home. I miss my family so terribly; I miss watching the servants decorate the house with boughs of fir and holly, bring in a tree sent lovingly by Mama's dear cousin, the King of Norway, sneaking down to the kitchens every night and stuffing my trouser pockets with mince pies. I miss the villagers coming to Aldringham Manor and singing carols, serving them mulled wine and mince pies. The annual Christmas Ball for the servants, giving them presents on Boxing Day, visiting our cousins in Argyll for their Annual New Year's Hogmanay.

But perhaps the most peculiar bit for me is that fact that I don't miss it as much as I feel I ought to. In a way, I feel like the Christmas season here in Fir Creek has a charm in and of itself; though it might sound terribly counter-intuitive to say, it almost feel homelier than Christmas back home. We've decorated the surgery and the police station along with the private living areas and the kitchen, which I must admit is a first for me; back home, usually the footmen and housemaids did the decorating around the house but there was something cosy and warm about getting hands on whilst decorating. It helps one to truly get into the spirit of the season.

Thomas and I have been closer than ever lately; as the prairies continue to descend into the nadir of the brutal Canadian winters, the cravings of each others' body warmth, and gentle tender touch seems to reach its zenith. But alongside my Mountie, I've also grown even closer to his boys. Though it might sound terribly foolish, I can't help but feel as though I am their parent of sorts; is that terribly odd to say?

I help Thomas with everything from looking after them, feeding them, changing nappies, putting them to bed. I even went round to the shops to buy little Danny an advent Advent calendar and a few toys to gift them both on Christmas morning. In return I feel as though they also are reciprocating this almost guardian-like relationship; lately I seem to be the only one who can calm Alfie when he's fussy and Danny has been a dear; helping me baking mince pies, biscuits, even helping me on Stir Up Sunday to make Christmas Pudding.

Yes, I, Henry Aldringham, the same lad who didn't even know how to make a cuppa managed to successfully follow Thomas' family cookbook recipe for Christmas Pudding; mind you without burning it anything. It is quite the feat and I'm terribly proud of it, which might be terribly common to admit. I've wrapped it in a cloth and left it to hang in the cupboard, pulling it out every week to feed it with a bit of brandy.

Every night we sit by the fire, Thomas on one side of the chimneypiece with little Danny cuddled into his lap whilst I am sat on the other side, feeding little Alfie his bottle. I don't know why or how, but without even me realising it I've managed to find myself a family; and though we carry no real relation, neither in blood nor on paper, I can't help but feel as they are kin to me. A home from home. As the Bible says, 'the blood of the Covenant is thicker than the water of the womb', and this family whom I've found and chosen, I daresay is as strong as my own blood.

Love, Henry.

Henry sauntered out his bedroom door and towards the nursery with a smile plastered across his pretty face; he had loads to do between now and Christmas morning, preparing the roast for Christmas lunch, baking mince pies for Father Christmas, Christmas cookies for the Church Christmas fête and putting the presents under the tree, all the while caring for little Danny and Alfie which was always a pleasure for him.