~ chapter 1 ~

Everybody had heard the news, including my pinhead little brothers, and they wouldn't stop teasing me about it. Every girl in the town, rich or poor, had received a letter saying that the Prince would be looking for a suitor, which meant he'd be visiting the town more often.

Although the Prince was looking for another Royal to marry, or at least someone with money, it was customary for everyone to receive the news. And it was curtesy to prepare the town and yourself for Royal visits.

And the town? They have been ecstatic from the news. The people have been prepping and priming everything, joyous to see that the Kingdom that had turned depressing and dark, would once again be full of joy with a new Queen.

"-Are you even listening?" My head snapped up at the inquiry, faced with my father and brothers staring me down.

I bowed my head, "Sorry Papa, what were you saying?"

My brothers snickering subsided as father shot them a glance, "I need you to go into town and pick a couple things up for dinner tonight."

"But... The Prince-"

"I know the Prince is coming, which is another reason you're going." He insisted

Standing, I grabbed my plate to clear it off, "Papa, with all due respect, I have no interest in being the Prince's suitor or whatever they call it."

Tommy and Tubbo's laughter had come back full force, "Can you imagine!! BAAHHA, 'ohhhhh your majestyyyyy!'"

I've learned to tune them out, but sometimes they just make me seethe with anger. I catch one last glimpse of father talking to them before I'm in my room.

I usually love going into town, it gives me a break from being the only women in a house of five men. Immature men at that. Alas, today was different, it was more likely that the square would be packed. Lines of girls rushing to meet and see the Prince.

I will never understand the appeal to be a Queen. Sure, I've dreamed of living in a castle, the halls adorned with beautiful paintings, and doors engraved with etchings of wildlife. But I know it gets lonely, and cold. And I would never give up the warmth of family, and home-cooked meals. Especially for some Prince who would love himself more than me.

As a commoner, I'm free to do what I want, within the laws of course. And usually, I take that to my advantage. Whether sword fighting with my brothers, or stripping with my friends to swim in the lake. I know I could never do these things again if I were to marry a Royal.

I'd be tied down, followed everywhere I go, watched with every step I take. To me, that is no life to live, only a sad excuse of love and power.

I stall the best I can. I don't want to meet this Prince, I don't even want to see him. And I certainly don't want him to see me. Which, means I had to blend in.

Although I don't want to, I know that father will make me dress more presentable than normal. even if I wasn't going to be the new queen, it's a common rule that you dress nicely when Royalty is in town.

I opt to wear my favorite skirt, it's a lighter green, and flows as if it's a feather. I find it better to wear lighter skirts, they don't weigh me down, and I'm more free to run. Next, is just a simple white blouse, the sleeves puff a little bit and the neckline frills, but it matches perfectly with the corset I tie on over it. A creme color, that seemed to get lighter with the sun as days went on.

As time hits mid-morning, the shops begin opening, and I make my way out of the house. Bidding farewell to my father and brothers.

The cold air hits me like a slap to the face, brushing the tips of my nose and ears, it's only mid-spring, meaning the morning's always start off cold, but by afternoon the sun will swelter everyone below it.