Chapter 6

Sophie's POV:

"Are you ready?" Tam asked her

She looked over at him and gave him a small shake of her head, saying, "Honestly, I don't think I really am. But we have to do this"

"I know. I get it"

Sophie sat down on the chair near Keefe's bed, and looked down at his unconscious form. 

She had managed to convince her parents and bodyguard to let her go through with it, and miraculously, they agreed without much of an argument. 

So right now, her, Tam, Linh, Glimmer, Edaline, Grady, Fitz, Elwin and Mr. Forkel were gathered in the healing center. Mr. Forkel had leaped Glimmer to the healing center and had a few goblins to make sure she doesn't escape. Sandor and Ro were there too, but the other's bodyguards were told to wait outside. 

There was still an awkward tension between her and Fitz, but she tried to ignore that and focused on waking Keefe up. Fitz was mainly here to monitor Sophie's mind, and even though Glimmer said he can't do that, he insisted on staying. 

"So, should I enter his mind first?" Sophie asked, nervously biting her lower lip as she looked at Glimmer sitting next to her.

"Yes. Open your mind to his and start inflicting positive emotions when I say so. Once you start doing that, you'll see some black misty fog scattered around his mind. You have to wrap your concentration around that and pull it towards you. Think of it as collecting all the shadowflux from him and taking it yourself instead. Tam, you have to extract the shadowflux from Sophie as you did the last time she was injected with it. as your doing this, there will be a slight glow around him, that is the ethertine, with I will be collecting and dissipating. Any questions?" she said.

"Yes. Why is it positive emotions that I have to inflict?" Sophie asked her

"Because when he was injected with the shadowflux, it filled his mind with negative emotions, and though the ethertine is supposed to balance it out, ethertine doesn't influence the mind, only the body, while shadowflux does both. I'm sure you've had experience with that. So you have to fill his mind with positive emotions so the shadowflux will surface so that you can extract it from him" she explained

Sophie nodded, gulping as she glanced back down at Keefe. She took his cold hand in hers as she opened her mind to his. 

This time, his mind was strangely....silent. There were no images floating around, nor any dreams. It was just blank. It was like entering someone's mind while their sleeping. 

Hey Keefe she tried. No reply. 

I'm going to get you out of here, okay? I will wake you up, she took his hand and transmitted as Glimmer nodded at her 

She took a deep breath and collected all the happy memories she had with him. She felt a million emotions surging through her. Once she felt all the emotions starting to burst, she pushed them into his mind

"Start pulling the shadows towards you. They'll appear about....now" Glimmer instructed, and true to her word, black mist started forming around his mind. Sophie wrapped her concentration around the black mist, and imagined pulling them towards her. 

She gasped as she felt them soak into her mind, and the monster woke up. She struggled to keep it at bay, but the shadowflux kept it on high alert, and it snarled at her attempts to block it out. 

Fear, pain, panic, guilt, and a bunch of nasty, ugly emotions swirled in her mind, and Sophie felt her grasp on the shadowflux slipping. 

Give in, a whispery voice said, and faces appeared before her eyes. Dex, Biana, Edaline, Grady, Mr. Forkel, Fitz, Calla, and many, many more

Voices merged in her head, shouting at her, shaking their heads at her in disappointment, glaring at her. It was too chaotic to make out what they were saying, but she recognized them. 

Sophie clutched her head and took a deep, shuddering breath as the monster grew stronger, and she and focused on shoving the voices away. It's not real, they're not real, it's fine, you're fine, it's safe, she chanted again and again as the voices slowly faded away and she turned her attention back to his mind, where the shadowflux still drifted. 

She steeled her nerves and continued pulling the shadowflux towards her and tried her best to ignore the monster that lurked in the shadows. 

Soon, little by little, Keefe's mind cleared and dozens of bright, vivid  memories floated around her as she collected in the last of the shadowflux. 

Sophie let out a sigh of relief as she realized she's managed to retract all the shadowflux without losing her grip on the monster again, but it had used up all of her mental energy while doing this, and when she felt someone touch her shoulder gently, she pulled out of Keefe's mind to see Glimmer extracting the last of the ethertine and his eyes twitched. 

She tried to latch onto the last wisps of reality, wanting to see his ice blue eyes open once more, but exhaustion won out and she fell into a deep slumber

tell me watcha think bout it

tysm for reading!!

~ booknerd0110