Happiness

Chapter 8: Broken clocks

7 MONTHS AGO

" Balisa!!!!!!!"
We both giggled when we heard Gladys call me.
Michael" She works for us right?"
Me" I am not even sure anymore"
" I'll be right back"
I went inside the house, she was standing at the laundry room. Guess she saw that I was doing our laundry.
Gladys" Am I fired?"
Me" No, it's just that I missed doing laundry and since it's your birthday we thought awuzi"
Gladys" I saw the message but I want to be here"
Me" That's fine but you are not working today. Michael, Musa and Jackson are having some drinks outside. You can join them"
Gladys" Yazi mntanam, as much as I appreciate you and your husband boundaries are necessary. You are good people, that's why the three of us wake up with joy in the morning to come here because we know ninjani. This doing your laundry, cleaning your house, it's my job and I love it. So I'll finish up here and carry on with my duties"
Me" Michael won't be happy"
She smiled
Gladys" Hahaha myeke"
Me" Fine"
I went to the kitchen and found her daughter's number, Gladys is married and has a daughter that's in grade 12. Since it's school schools, Michael offered her a job at his company. She is just job shadowing just to have some pocket money.
Me" Hello Zintle, ndim uBalisa"
Zintle" Hello Sisi, unjani?"
Me" I am good and how are you?"
Zintle" I am good, just tired"
Me" Hahaha you'll get used to it, mamela, I want to arrange a small braai for your mother. She is here, I'll come fetch you at work then we can go prep for the braai. Invite whoever you think she would want there. I'll tell Michael to let Bradley know that you'll be out today"
Zintle" Yooh! Okay ke Sisi. Enkosi kakhulu"
Me" It's nothing"
" I'll see you soon"
I went outside to tell everyone my plan, the guys agreed. Jackson and I left together to fetch Zintle, then we went to buy the things we will need. Her house? Was exactly what I expected, since it was so clean I didn't want us to set up inside, we used the yard. After everything was sorted, I left Jackson behind because I had to fetch Michael, Musa and Gladys. I arrived at the house, we requested Musa uber and then I went to shower, while Michael was on getting the alcohol for the party. I wore shorts, a white t-shirt and a floral kimono. I took my things then went downstairs.
Me" Ugqibile Mama?"
Gladys" Ewe, ndifuna nje uthambisa then sihambe"
I called Michael and he said he was on his way, then called Zintle to tell her we are on the way. Gladys was done, so we locked the house, and went to wait for Michael outside.
Me" We are taking you home today, since we are going that side, we thought we should save you some taxi fare"
Gladys" Yoh! Enkosi Balisa"
Michael arrived and we finally left, in the car you could hear the bottles hit each other.
Me" How much alcohol did you get?"
" You know we it's Wednesday tomorrow right?"
Michael" I know that"
Me" Doesn't sound like it"
Michael asked Gladys for directions, we finally arrived after what felt like forever.
Me" Can I use the ladies quickly?"
She agreed, we both got out of the car. She opened the gate and everyone shouted " Surprise", I think she knew I was responsible for this because she gave me a huge hug. Michael brought in the alcohol and I gave him a death stare, he needed to relax because we were still going home thina. We ate, I missed drinking but Harlow/Harry didn't allow me to drink.
Me" Michael and I have decided we will see you guys on Thursday. You need to rest after today, we will lock all the gates so you won't be able to come in"
Michael" Enjoy the rest of the party, and Happy birthday again"
We going on our Phuket trip this coming weekend. We had so much to do before then, I am glad we got to do this for Gladys.
Michael" Please drive"
Me" Straight home?"
We both giggled
Michael" Nice try though"

His mother was standing outside waiting for us, she gave me a hug and then ushered me inside.
"We made your favorite Balisa"
I stared at my husband, I don't really have favorites. I just eat what's on the table.
Me" Thank you Elsa"
I gave her a hug, we made small talk about her golden oldies group.
Micheal" Is Stephanie joining us?"
Elsa" She is working"
" They'll just come tomorrow"
Me" Oh that sucks"
" Hello Garry, what are you watching?"
I asked Micheal's father, I love this man. He is kind hearted just like his son.
Garry" I am not sure, how's the baby?"
Me" Harlow/Harry is growing, Michael has been taking pictures of everything. That's the only down side of this pregnancy"
Michael" This is my first child and will probably be my favorite child. I need to pull off all the stops for him"
Me" Taking a photo of me throwing up is going over board"
Micheal" It's called content"
Garry" That doesn't even make sense"
Me" That's what I said"
Michael" Dad weren't you excited about me?"
Garry" I hated you son, you were loud. You cried so much, I wanted to give you to the nurses"
" The first child is your practice for parenthood. Your only duty is not to kill him or her, you learn how to be parents and you do better with the second one"
Elsa" He is talking nonsense. I met your father when you were 5 years old and all he could speak about was you, his love for you was the reason him and I went on a second date"
" There's no real formula to being a parent, Michael is excited because the first time he did this he was young and he didn't have the means that he has now"
Me" I am excited too"
Elsa" As you should but you are scared too, that's what women do. We are scared of the unknown, enjoy your pregnancy. Don't let fear rob you of these moments"

We went straight home after supper with his parents. I was exhausted. I took a long bath while he got some work done.
" Hey babe"
Michael said, I was already in bed when he came to the room.
Me" What's wrong?"
Michael" Do you think I don't spend enough time with Elena?"
Elena is Michael's daughter, she is 22 years. He was 17 years old when she was born, they don't have much of a relationship. She lived in Johannesburg most of her life, and she returned to PE for varsity. I don't know the story there but the more she tries, well it's the more he fails.
Me" What are you planning?"
Michael" Nothing but it's just what my father said, it sort of bothered me. I am so excited for Harry/Harlow but I wasn't like this with Elena"
Me" Because you were a teenager"
"You were young"
Michael" I just feel like I can do more"
Me" You can and you should, but don't force her to let you in. She will when she is ready"
Michael" Life is too short"
Me" I know but you just need to let her come to you"
"Ask her to come over tomorrow, I'll make supper and let you two talk"
Michael" I'd love that"
"Do you hate it when I take pictures of you?"
Me" Just when you take them while I'm throwing up"
Michael" I am sorry"
Me" I love you Mikey"
Michael" I love you too babe"
"You should sleep, your tomorrow is a big day for the both of us"
Me" Why?"
Michael" Your step daughter is two years younger than you, she will see you as a gold digger and I'm sure she hates you. Sleep you'll need all the energy"
Me" Hahaha You are evil"
Michael" It's not me babe but I am just predicting the future"
"Goodnight"
Me" Whatever"