Bonus chapter

Forever is not promised

7 MONTHS AGO

We have been traveling and I miss my house. We left PE the day after Gladys surprise party, we were supposed to have Elena over the following day but she cancelled last minute. Michael never said what happened, he was hurt though. We left for East London, then stayed there for two day, went to Cape Town. Then our Phuket and now we are in Johannesburg. We landed yesterday then went to visit some of his friends, I was so exhausted. Today I just wanted to stay in bed and get some work done.
" Billy"
He said and I looked at him then giggled because of the shorts he was wearing.
Me" What is wrong with you?"
Michael" Keeping up with the times"
Me" Please don't"
Michael" Let's go out for breakfast"
Me" You can go without me, I am exhausted"
" I just wanna stay in bed all day"
Michael" Then let's order in and we can watch whatever you want"
Me" I need my compression socks"
Michael" Nothing about you wearing those socks screams sexy"
"Nothing at all"
Me" Good because I don't even want to have sex"
Michael" Hahaha rest assured, no one wants to have sex with someone who wears those"
" I love you though"
Me" Go and have fun with your friends. I just want to sleep"
" And I love you too"
Michael" Are you sure?"
Me" Yes"
Michael" Okay"

*
I woke up because my phone was ringing, I was a bit too late though. It was after 3 p.m., I decided to call back the number'
"Hello, I just saw your missed call, sorry about that"
I said
" Balisa?"
I didn't recognize the voice
Me" Yes, this is she"
He cleared his throat
" I am Matthew, we met yesterday. We are at Netcare Olivedale, your husband fell during a game of tennis and well his knee is fucked"
I had a thousand things I wanted to say but I decided against all of them.
Me" Thank you"
I ended the call, got out of bed and brushed my teeth. Grabbed my sweatpants, a hoodie, slides and fixed my braids. Requested my uber then left. The ride to the hospital was long but when I arrived they told me he was in surgery, that's when I panicked because his friend made it seem like it's something small. Yet he had a heart attack, and that's how his knee got "fucked" and he was rushed to surgery. I went to get myself some water then found my way to the waiting room, I recognised two of his friends. I didn't know the women that was with them.
" Hey"
I said, his friend Wayne was the first to spot me. The two women just stared at me, I didn't really care because I was worried about my husband.
Matthew" I couldn't get your number on his phone, I had to call Elsa and she gave it to me"
Me" Thank you for calling me"
We all sat in silence until one of the ladies scoffed loudly. So I looked up.
" You are married to my father?"
I stared at her, I have never seen her pictures as an adult so I don't know what she looks like. Michael has baby pictures.
"Aren't you like 12?"
Okay I guess she is going the bitchy route and I am too exhausted.
Me" That would make your father a pedophile and it's illegal to marry a minor"
" Anyway, I'm Balisa and yes, I am married to your father. You were invited to the wedding and we cooked for you just last month before you cancelled on us. You would have met me then"
I spotted two doctors walking towards us, I got up and they both looked at us.
" He is out of surgery, there were no complications. Would you like to see him?"
The doctor said to who I assume is his Elena's mother. I cleared my throat;
"I am his wife, and yes I would love to see him"
It was so tense kule waiting room, someone should play Gqom iphele le nonsense and we all dance.
Elena" Legally?"
Me" You should pick up his calls and stop embarrassing yourself like this"

*

" You had a heart attack! You are not allowed to have any of those anymore"
I said to him while walking to his bed
" We are having a baby soon, and I want Harlow/Harry to meet you"
I started crying, then went to kiss his lips.
" I am fine"
He said but I was only going to believe that when we are both home and in our bed.
Me" Promise you won't die"
Michael" I promise you"
"Since we are here, you might as well get something for your blood pressure"
Me" Promise you'll rest"
We kissed
Michael" Promise"
Me" Your daughter asked if I'm twelve, you owe 50rand, told you she'd comment on my age"
Michael" Read the room Billy"
We both giggled, I could tell he was still in pain. I sat with him until he fell asleep, then I went to the chemist because I wasn't about to go see no doctor. I got what I needed and some more water, then went to update his friends.
" You'll be able to see him tomorrow, he says he just wants to rest up"
I said and they all understood, Elena and her mother decided they'll stay behind. I didn't care enough for that, I just called Mikey's parents then asked Wayne tp drop me off at the airbnb.

*

The following day I was at the hospital before visiting hours. All because I had a dream that I was at a funeral, the nurses sneaked me in his room. He was still sleeping, I went to sleep next to him then whispered;
" I don't want you to play with your friends again"
I heard him chuckle, so did I because he is way too old to be playing.
Michael" You are here"
My head was on his chest, I needed to hear his heart beating but he had on these things on his chest but that didn't stop me.
Me" I think my biggest fear is losing you when I just found you. I don't think I can survive that"
Michael" Work has been stressful, I'll step back for a bit and let Matt take care of things"
"I didn't mean to scare you"
Me" Matthew is your partner?"
Michael" Yes, White McCoy Designs, he is the McCoy"
Me" He wasn't at the wedding"
Michael" One of those motherfuckers who doubted us"
We both laughed because that's my joke
Me" I'll admit, I was also one of those motherfuckers"
Micheal" Daaaaaamn"
The door opened and the doctors walked in, I jumped out of bed giggling.
Me" I had a nightmare he died, so I had to come monitor him"
The doctors giggled, they examined him while I sat on the couch watching them.
Me" How is he?"
" I am one of those nagging wives"
They explained that he was doing well but he would still be there another day.
Me" I guess you want me out?"
The doctor nodded
Michael" I promise to call you when I wake up"
Me" I'll go eat and shower"
Michael" Please do, you are still in your pyjamas Mam, married has not been kind towards you"
We both laughed, I kissed his forehead before I left.
Michael" Hey Billy"
I turned around and looked at him
" In case you have a nightmare like this one again, remember that I love you and you are the best part of my existence"