Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR | A MESSAGE

'Being positive in a negative situation isn't naïve. It's called leadership.'

⁎⁎⁎

"You made it!" Alya exclaimed as she saw Nandini making her way towards her. She stepped down from the stool where she was trying out different sarees and hugged her best friend.

It was time for Alya's bridal dress shopping and Nandini couldn't be under more stress. She had just returned from the florist after having booked flowers for the big day. The wealthy businesses always need to be booked months in advance and Nandini was slowly learning to deal with their tantrums. She hadn't even had time to call Rishabh, her younger brother, since the party last night.

The thought of the engagement party reminded her of the challenge she had accepted from Alya's ex. She had been up all night, contemplating between telling Alya or Mrs. Saxena about Manik's challenge. But in the end, she had decided against it. They would get unnecessarily worried.

Plus, it was Nandini's job to handle Manik Malhotra. He was the biggest threat to her business. If he caused any drama in Alya's wedding, not only will the bride's day get spoiled but the wedding planner will also have to offer explanations on security and what not! And Nandini wanted none of that.

She waved her bag in front of Alya, grinning from head to toe. She had picked up numerous fashion magazines on her way so that they could get designing ideas for Alya's wedding outfit.

But Alya didn't look as thrilled as Nandini had imagined. She frowned at the magazines and didn't say anything as she adjusted the pleats of her saree.

Realization dawned on Nandini.

It was time for another fight between the bride and the bride's mother, and she had to stop it.

"Eww... I look so old! Mom still wants me to wear this itchy, traditional thing yaar. Ugh!" Alya whined, twisting her waist to glare at the crimson red silk saree which her mother had coerced her to drape. It had a printed beige blouse that would go well with white hair, but not with her silky brown tresses.

Nandini shook her head. That was something she had learned in the very first wedding she planned eight months ago.

Generational Bridal Sarees.

Mothers loved them. Brides hated them.

This particular one had been handed down, from one generation of Saxena women to the next for years. And for anyone taking notes, how one handles this situation defines their worth as a wedding planner.

"How do tell mom I don't want this without hurting her? I don't want her to feel bad, I love her but this just isn't me!" Alya asked, facing Nandini. Ever since they had met, Nandini was the wiser one and Alya trusted her to find a solution to every problem.

Nandini smiled, despite being tired. "Let me handle it. I'll sugarcoat it without her knowing. Where's she?"

Alya pointed at the stairs on the other side of the hall and Nandini nodded, hoping she wouldn't get lost in the boutique that was ten times the size of her house.

A few minutes later, Nandini returned, grinning from head to toe. "I told her you will wear this one, but we will buy a lighter lehenga for backup."

Alya clapped her hands and jumped. "You're the best, Nandu! So she agreed?"

Nandini smiled awkwardly. That was the tricky part. "Not exactly... she said it was so sugar-coated it gave her diabetes."