Chapter Eight

A/N:
Hi everyone! It's been over two years since I wrote a new chapter. In the past few years, I've grown a lot as a person and my writing style has undergone changes too so I've been worried if y'all will enjoy the story and if it will flow the same as before. Hence, it took time to polish the old parts and write a new chapter. I'm sorry for keeping you waiting this long, I really didn't want to leave things incomplete.
If you're reading this, please know that I'm very grateful you are still here after all this while. I remember every single username who has voted, commented, or ever reached out to me regarding my stories, and I genuinely love this online family I got through Wattpad. Thank you for all your love and support throughout the years. I promise I'll try to be regular with updates from now, no more procrastination!
As for my new readers, thank you for checking this out and welcome to the family! ❤️

CHAPTER EIGHT | MEMORIES

'A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it or not.'

⁎⁎⁎

"Honestly Nandini, why are you ringing the doorbell like some stranger? You have the keys, don't ya?" Alya demanded, swinging the front door open for her best friend.

"Well, it's for emergencies. I am not even supposed to have the keys to your house," Nandini reminded her.

Alya rolled her eyes. "You're my best friend and I trust you." A small smile played on Nandini's face.

"Besides, I can't keep opening the door for you. I've things to do!" Alya continued.

Nandini shook her head. Of course!

Alya grabbed Nandini by her arms and led her inside. "I told mom I'll wear her saree to my wedding but I get to choose the rest of my outfits, including Haldi. See, this one. It's nice, no?" she asked, picking up a lehenga skirt.

Nandini sat on the couch and nodded. The lehenga in Alya's hand was truly beautiful. The intricate floral embroidery with the sequin work made it perfect for the occasion.

She complimented her best friend's choice as she took the cake out of her bag and set it on the table.

Alya looked at her questioningly. "Do you not want me to fit in my lehenga? I'm on a diet Nandini!"

"I know, I know. But don't worry. I used a low-fat cream for the icing, and I baked this myself. A little treat won't hurt. We have been working so hard recently." She made her cute face, melting her best friend.

"Fine, but I will only eat a little. I'm supposed to be on a very strict diet! And don't you let mom find out."

Nandini grinned, holding up her hands. "I don't have a death wish!"

Both the girls giggled as they quickly stashed the clothes away from the table, afraid they would get stains, and then dug into the chocolate cake Nandini had brought.

As she took a bite, Alya paused. "This cream, it's different. It's like—"

Nandini cut her off, feigning ignorance. "I know right! It's so good, Mukti taught me."

The colour drained from Alya's face, she wasn't expecting to hear the name ever again, it was uncommon. "Mukti?" she asked.

"Yeah. She's the head baker at Right from Oven but the girl doesn't have a bit of arrogance for that! Attitude, yes. Arrogance, no. Such a sweetheart!" Nandini replied.