Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE | A MACARON AGAIN

'A balanced diet is a sweet in each hand.'

⁎⁎⁎

"Alright kiddo, I have to go but make sure you ask your warden to give me a call. Okay?"

Rishabh nodded and Nandini smiled at the screen, wishing she could have her little brother stay with her. But alas, she didn't have time to take care of him and he can't be left unattended. Rishabh needed proper care and she couldn't provide that while trying to set up a business.

He waved his hands, bidding her bye. Nandini waved back and smiled sadly. "Take care, Rishu. I love you and I miss you!" Rishabh pointed at her, smiled, and made a heart with his fingers in response.

She tried to control her tears, praying for her brother to get his voice back and nodded at him with a smile before disconnecting the video call.

After breakfast, she grabbed her desk calendar and reminded herself that she was meeting Manik Malhotra at the restaurant. The Uranian Delights was a small diner but had great ratings online. If it wasn't quite far from her apartment and a little on the expensive side, Nandini would've tried it already.

Biting her lips, she went through her cupboard after planning her day and finally decided on a yellow, floral print blouse with black pants. It was casually formal so she could easily attend the meeting with the new caterer after handling whatever Manik was going to throw at her.

She couldn't sleep at night, wondering why he wanted to meet, specially after the challenge they threw at each other a few days ago.

That man is weird. So mysterious and arrogant! What did Alya even see in him? she mused.

⁎⁎⁎

Later that day, Nandini made her way to the address Manik had texted her. It wasn't very fancy but the vibe was great. Aesthetic decor and the sweet smell of baking made it a cozy spot for casual meetings. Nandini made a mental note to bring her new clients here for a good impression before discussing details. Maybe she could ask Ms. Marie for a meeting here whenever it happens, this was her kind of a place. For now, however, she was here with a jerk.

Ayyappa, stay with me. She prayed.

As she settled across him, Manik smiled politely. "I ordered for both of us, hope you don't mind." He was wearing a black fitted shirt and had pushed back his hair. If Nandini didn't know better, she would even call his appearance charming.

Nandini raised an eyebrow, "That's alright but I really don't think we are here for snacks or hanging out. Tell me what you want. And while you're at it, how did you even get my number?"

"Told you, I can find anything about anyone." Manik pointed, "And you Miss Murthy, are not very difficult to find." Nandini rolled her eyes, of course, what else was she expecting from the arrogant jerk obsessed with stalking his ex and her family.

Manik noticed the change in her expressions. He had anticipated that the polite act would be fruitless but he still wanted to try in case she fell for it. "And I called you here to discuss Alya's wedding."

Nandini grimaced. "What kind of a possessive ex-boyfriend are you? I don't know the exact details and I frankly don't care about Alya's past but you guys broke up back in college. So why do you want to interfere in her wedding after all these years of breaking her heart?" She glared at the end of her rant, making him chuckle.

"Oh, so is that what she told you? I broke her heart?" He asked, maintaining his calm posture.

"She didn't need to. When I met her, she was heartbroken and Zara aunty was worried sick. But she was so happy after she and Dhruv started going out so I really don't understand why you're trying to twist things around." Nandini answered, wondering where he was going with this. His expressions seemed so genuine in that moment.