9

It had been a long time since I saw Rio. Too long.

I was starting to regret calling things off with Diego- even though it definitely wouldn't be the same after Rio.

I hadn't noticed I was tapping my pen until it slipped from my fingers and flew over my head.

I gaped at my computer screen, mortified that'd I'd done that.

The man next to me sent me an odd look, as I spun in my chair. I sent him an apology and glanced over to where Sam was raising her eyebrows at me.

"I'm fine." I muttered.

"You sure? Cause we have court in ten minutes?" She teased. I rolled my eyes at her, and closed my laptop. I took it with me to the court room and began connecting it to the stenograph.

Soon the bailiffs and Sam were entering the courtroom.

"Here, Iz." Sam called from her seat. I stood and grabbed the paper labelled Exhibit 2. "Just for spelling and dates." She said. I nodded and took it back to my seat.

I could see the bailiffs letting the audience in.

When I first learned how to transcribe in shorthand I found it easier not to constantly be looking at the screen or my fingers, so I'd likely look over people in the audience or the wall behind them.

As the last person walked in, the saunter of the man caught my eye. His back was towards me as he moved to a seat in the back row. But when he turned, I recognized the flint in his eye.

What the hell was he doing here? I glanced at the tattoo covering his neck as he sat. His eyes immediately found mine and he smirked.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Gilbert. Come to order, court is in session. You may be seated. "

I had stumbled to my feet as the bailiff spoke, and this obviously amused Rio.

I glanced around the room before taking my seat and tried to avoid his eyes. I focused on the words coming out of the speakers above me, and referred to the document Sam had given me.

"I'm sorry, Officer what?" I paused the DA, to clarify my transcript.

"Officer Weiss. W-E-I-S-S." He spelled.

"Got that Madame Court Reporter?"

"Yes Your Honor." I nodded, returning to my screen.

As the judge dismissed the court for a recess I watched Rio stand and lick at his lips with a cocky grin. I shook my head and watched him walk out.

Thankfully he didn't return.

I stayed in the courtroom for as long as I could to finish my transcripts.

"Okay." I muttered, taking my laptop and documents with me.

I moved back into the office to my desk. I scanned in the evidence document to my laptop, so I could take everything with me and work on anything I didn't finish at home.

"Okay, I'm out." I sighed, leaning down to hug Sam's shoulders.

"Bye! See you tomorrow." She waved. I passed Diego as I walked out of the office. He didn't waste any time moving across the office to get away from me.

I rolled my eyes as I moved to my locker. I left my blazer there and decided I was too tired to change.

I left through the back exit, waving to the security guard and made my way to the usual parking garage. I hit the elevator button with my elbow and waited.