10

I didn't know if I was reluctant. Or if I was eager, but I let Rio stay and drove back home.

Maybe if I confided in him about my past he would leave me out of his business for good.

As soon as I walked in I kicked my heels off to the side of my door and moved back into my bedroom, shutting the door behind me. I took my pants off and changed into a pair of sweats. I splashed some water on my face, which took off most of my makeup, but my tears had probably helped with that.

When I joined Rio again he had a bottle of water from the fridge. "Here." He slid it over the coffee table, then tapped the couch next to him.

I took the water, taking a swig before sitting back and tugging my knees up to my chest.

"When I was 17 I lost my virginity to my older brothers friend. My brother was gone to college and we were sneaking around. We eventually told him and he was obviously pissed, as he should be." I let out a wet cough. "We stopped seeing each other and a year later..." I shook my head, still pissed at myself.

"A year later my brother was murdered by his friend." I closed my eyes, feeling the same nauseating feeling pour through me, as when I saw the police knocking at my mom's front door. "They got into a fight and his friend shot him." I bobbed my shoulders.

"Mami." Rio spoke. I turned my head to the side, laying my cheek on the cushion. "I'm sorry Mami, I had no idea."

"It's been almost..." I raised my eyebrows. "It'll be 10 years in a couple weeks."

A tear slid down the side of my face and under my ear.

"So if you'd kindly never ask me to do something for you again, I'd appreciate it." I closed my eyes, locking my hands around my legs.

"I can't do that Ma." He sighed. "As much as I hate mixing you up in my shit... The truth is I need you."

I looked over at him, not able to find the energy to curse at him, or slap him again.

"It's too much of a risk, sweetheart. I've already dragged you in it, and if I had to find someone else the chances of getting caught would be a lot higher."

"So what's stopping me from going to the police?" I asked.

"You like me too much, you don't wanna see me on the other side of that table in court."

"So you use my feelings to manipulate me." I nodded. "Like I said, I have phenomenal taste in men." I rolled my eyes.

"I'd never hurt you, Isabel. Or anyone you love. I wouldn't betray you like that."

I didn't know what to believe. How could I trust my judgement after falling in love with a monster once before.

"I love you." He spoke, smiling over at me. I pretended to not hear him, as I turned into his neighborhood. "I love you." He repeated.

"No you don't." I whined with a smile on my face.

"Yes I do! Say it back." His hand rubbed over my thigh.

"Okay!" I huffed. "I love you too."

"I don't want to be any part of what you do." I said, sitting up as I held his eye contact.

"'Nough said." He nodded.

"No listen to me." I sighed. "I'm really fucked up here." I tapped my temple. "I haven't healed so I need you to respect that. I want no part and I don't want to see or hear of any of it."

"Does that mean I can stay?" He tilted his head, reaching forward to hold my jaw.

"Rio, please?" I whispered. "I can't let you hurt me like he-"

"Careful how you finish that sentence Mama. I may do a lot of bad shit, but I ain't a bad person."

I couldn't help but agree with that. His actions proved that- well except for putting a gun to my head.

"And if you ever threaten me again..." I whispered, leaning forward to drag my lips over his. I opened my mouth to close my teeth over his bottom lip. "You'll have to find a surgeon to threaten to reattach your penis."

His eyebrow lifted and he let out a chuckle. "You ain't got the balls, Mami."

"We'll see."

He leaned forward to pull me in and kiss me.

"I hate you." I breathed.

"That ain't what you was saying when I went down on you on my kitchen counter."

I pulled away from him, and gawked at his filthy words.

"Come on Mami." He grabbed my hands, tugging me forward. "Let's get you some food, huh?" He wrapped my arms around himself.

"I don't forgive you." I whispered, pushing myself from my cushion of the couch to plant my knees over his lap.

"Doesn't look that way to me." He rasped, leaning back into the couch.

"Don't mistake my sexual frustration for weakness." I shook my head, making him laugh.

"I'd say that's as weak as it gets." He shrugged.

I huffed and went to push myself from his lap.

"No wait Mami." He locked his arms around me, with a playful grin.

I sighed and tilted my head at him.

"This is getting dangerous." I murmured.

"I'm okay with danger." He shrugged.

"Not this kind." I told him. This feeling was treacherous. The kind that would change one of us, whether we liked it or not. I let my hand fall from his shoulder to the left of his chest. "I have a feeling this is getting a lot deeper than just... Play time."

"Does that scare you Mami?" His finger trailed across my forehead and tucked my hair behind my ear slowly.

"It scares me that you aren't scared." I admitted, wetting my lips. "Because if you aren't scared then you aren't feeling what I am."

He looked up at me for a minute and lifted his other hand to cup both sides of my jaw.

"I want you to go put on something nice." He nodded. "And we're gonna go have dinner."

The twisting sensation in my gut only seemed to confirm the one sided feelings that were obviously present.

But how could I say no to putting on a tight dress and being on his arm for a night? Being his... For one night?

"Yes sir." I swallowed hard before standing up and moving into my room.

"This your bathroom?" I heard him call as I opened my closet.

"Yeah."

I flicked through the dresses I had hanging up. I ran my fingers over the silky red dress that I had only worn once. It'd probably be to cold for that though.

"That one." I slightly jumped at Rio's voice. "The black one." His finger passed my head to point at the black, ribbed dress.

I stepped forward pulling the hanger from the rod and turning to set it on my bed. I watched Rio look down at the dress then walk out of my room. I scanned the floor of the closet, finding my tall tan boots. I moved to my bathroom to undress and replace my bra with a black one. I slipped into the tight dress and pulled the boots on.

I hadn't worn them in a long time, and now I could hardly zip them up over the bottom of my thighs.

I left my hair in a bun with a few strands loose. Before I could touch my makeup Rio leaned himself against the doorway.

"None of that Mama." He shook his head, reaching his hand out for mine. I turned away from the mirror and faced him. We we're almost at eye level to one another. "God damn." He huffed out a laugh, licking his teeth. His eyes were stuck on the mirror behind me, surely on my ass.

"Are we gonna go or what?" I muttered, passing him.

"You might have to cover that up, or we won't make it out the door."