Chapter 1

"Y/N, come on!" I hear my friend, Sofia, call to me from the open window.

"Coming!" I yell back, brushing my hair down from the roost that it previously resembled. I stuff the folders on my desk into a leather messenger bag, haphazardly leaving the top unclasped.

I leave my room, praying that I hadn't left my notes on the bed after studying last night. As I walk down the stairs, I can make out the chatter of Sofia. I stuff my feet into my shoes, quickly tying them before pulling the door open.

Sofia must have seen someone passing and roped them into a conversation.

"Morning." I respond, locking the door behind me. "Hey, Sofia, do you have-" I'm cut off as something is pushing into my hands.

"Yeah, I brought you some food. I knew that you wouldn't have enough time to eat." Sofia rolled her eyes at me before linking my arm and pulling me ahead. "I still can't believe that you've gotten out of sleeping in the dorms. You're not even an Italian citizen, you'd think that they would have more restrictions." She scoffed.

"I've told you a thousand times, if you want to stay in my apartment, you're more than welcome. It gets lonely sometimes, you know."

"No way! I want to get the whole boarding school experience." She protested.

I nod (although she isn't paying any attention to me by now, already talking about something that a boy said to her in passing). Sofia babbles for the majority of our walk to campus. I put in words anywhere I can get between her fast talking mouth.

"And that's when Anna-" Sofia quieted, pulling me closer to her, "shut up, Y/N, we're about to go past."

Walking past the airport is the most dreadful part of our day. Sadly, the campus and dorms had a good walk between them, leaving a strip mall and the Naples International Airport between our beds and our desks.

The airport itself isn't bad, the motors are bearable. No, it's the people that Sofia is terrified of.

There's a mafioso that runs this section of the city. They call him Leaky Eye Luca. He's the dealer of practically anyone, including our classmates. He's a menace to society, and a menace to me every day. 

Lucky for us, we have to cross paths every day.

We're fast approaching the bench that the man is sitting on. I try not to make eye contact, focusing on the shiny shovel that dug into the trimmed grass. I hold my breath as Sofia hangs onto me, trying to make herself smaller as she tries to shimmy me to the other side.

I'm almost past before I feel the bile rise up in my throat.

"Ignoring me now, ragazza?" He calls out.

"Seemed to be the only thing working. Maybe if we pretend that you don't exist, you'll go away."

Luca chuckled, then rustled in his pocket, pulling out a handkerchief. "You're cracking me up, doll. You can't get rid of me that easily."

I look up, glaring at him and his stupid haircut. "Don't you have some kids to be selling to?" I scoff at him. I hear Sofia shiver behind me, and I push her away and up the road.

"You look like a kid to me. You're wearing a cute little schoolgirl's uniform, after all." He smirked, pushing out a hand to reach for my skirt that felt shorter under his disgusting stare.

I quickly batted his hand away. "Leave me alone, Luca."

"Fine, whatever." He huffed.

I nodded and looked back to Sofia. She looked like she was about to start crying. I step back and link my arm with her in reassurance.