Chapter 3

Going to the mall with Sofia meant going shoe shopping, regardless of what she had promised before. I learned my lesson last year when I was just a shy exchange student.

Why I didn't listen was beyond me.

"Y/N, what do you think about these?" she asks, holding up a pair of bedazzled black heels.

I held a plastic bag with a new graphing calculator and half a pretzel. I consider myself lucky that I pulled her away from the shoe store before she spent the whole afternoon drooling over footwear.

"They look nice, Sofia." I remark. "Where are you going to wear those, though?"

Sofia pondered, "I actually don't know." She laughed, "I guess I shouldn't buy something I'm not going to wear, right? OH- I'll be right back, you wait here!"

I shift in my shoes. If my feet hurt from walking to Libeccio, they've ought to be bruised now. I'm debating on buying a pair of sandals and changing into them when I hear a melodic tune coming from my bag.

It rings once, twice, three times before I answer.

"Hey." I hear a deep voice grumble from the other side of the phone.

"Jotaro?" I question.

"No, it's the man that watches you from your window every night."

I check the caller i.d., and it sure enough is my brother.

"Nice try, JoJo. Might've worked in the 90s, but caller i.d. is a thing now."

"I need to tell you something." He pauses.

"Go on."

"There's this boy, Haruno Shiobana. I've tracked him, and he should be in Napoli. I sent Koichi to assess the danger, but I need you to tell me if you know anything about him." He stated in his monotone voice.

I roll my eyes. "And here I was thinking that you'd call to say that you miss me. Don't forget that I don't know who any of your little adventure friends are, you wouldn't take me with you to Morioh!" I proclaimed.

"Y/N, you were twelve."

"So you went around playing with fifteen-year-olds and stopping serial killers while I had to stay with Mom? Guess what, Jotaro, I'm fifteen now! When do I get to save the world from evil?" I chuckle dryly.

"You can yell at me as much as you want, I was keeping you safe."

"Oh, don't worry, I've got fifteen years of disappointment at birthdays and Christmas in my arsenal. You know that the only reason I'm not in New York is because of Grandpa's affair, right? I was displaced on another continent while you guys got to go and play house with an invisible baby." I whisper the last part. I'm already yelling in a department store; I don't need them thinking that I'm crazy.

"I got to get back to work. Anything you want to say?" He queries, unfazed at my dejection.

"Tell Jolyne that I love her, will you? Believe me, I know how it feels to be unwanted by you." I seethe through the phone.

"Good grief." Jotaro mumbled.

There was static on the other end of the line before a disconnection beep played.

I slam my phone shut, only to be brought to the attention of the little dolphin keychain.

I sigh, rethinking the conversation. I know that he cares about me, he wouldn't have risked his life so many times if he didn't care about us. Still, it stings knowing that I don't have any core memories with him.

Sofia returns from the aisle she slipped off to with a pair of fuzzy booties.

"Hey, everything alright? I heard yelling." She asks, concern lacing her voice.

"Yeah, everything's fine. My stupid brother called me." I explain. "Wanted me to find out something about some guy that lives here. He's so frustrating!"

"Well, there's men for you."

I laugh, dropping my phone back into my bag carelessly.

"I think that I've found what I want," Sofia states, holding up the shoes in her hand. "let's go pay and then we can leave. It's starting to get dark."

I peek over the shoe racks to the large windows. She's right, the sun was falling behind the buildings on the other side of the parking lot.

"I'm just going to wait outside." I chirp.

Sofia nods, "Whatever you say. Just don't leave without me!"

_ _ _ _ _

In the time that I left the building and Sofia emerged, she had obtained three pairs of shoes. I rolled my eyes but said nothing.

"You know, I was afraid that you were going to say no to coming with me." She divulged. "Then I would have had to walk back in the dark by myself."

"Sofia, you know that I wouldn't make you do that, you're already scared of the city during the day." I deadpan.

"It's not my fault that my parents picked the school in his territory!" She whisper-yelled.

"Okay, okay!" I back down.

We walk in silence down the sidewalk, until reaching the front of my house.

"Are you sure that you don't want me to walk you to the dorms?" I question.

"I think that I'll be fine. They're just a couple of blocks away." Sofia insisted.

She turned her back to me and walked a few meters before twisting her head back. "Bye,
Y/N!" she said, waving.

"Bye!" I responded as she picked up speed, waddling down the street with two big bags in her hand.

I reach into my schoolbag to get my keys. After a bit of a struggle, I locate them, unlocking the door and pushing it open with my foot.

Nothing seems amiss, but the paranoia of living alone still seeps in sometimes.

"Twisted Sister!" I call my stand.

Thorned vines materialize from my hands and feet, writing around. When they've made their way up the stairs and into my room without incident, I sigh in relief, recalling them.

My stand works a lot like my Grandfather's, but with a few upgrades. The vines can materialize and entrap anything, regardless of the viscosity of the object. The thorns work both as offense and defense, producing a toxin which prohibits the attacker's wounds from sealing. My stand was allegedly named by Jotaro's best friend when he had learned that the Joestar family were developing stands. I think about the man, Kakyoin, sometimes. I only ever met him in my toddlerhood, so I wonder how my brother would act if he had been able to spend more time with him.

"Whatever..." I mumble to myself, locking the front door. I walk into the kitchen, setting my bags on the counter.

"Sorry guys, but I'm not planning on studying tonight." I console the inanimate objects in front of me.

I can't help but think back to the events this afternoon. I was being serious when I told that boy that I'd break his ribs, Twisted Sister packs a strong grip. He didn't seem fazed at all by my threat. Either he's a stand user, or such an idiot that his body doesn't matter to him.

I've yet to figure out which.

After I hop in the shower, I turn on the TV and cuddle into the many pillows on my bed. I fall asleep to some soap opera rerun.

_ _ _ _ _

A/N: Not much happened this chapter, but don't worry! With the mysterious boy on your mind, you leave to meet the odd men at Libeccio tomorrow. Have a good day!