Chapter 2

My classmates filter out of the math classroom as they head to lunch. I organize the folders in my bag, trying to filter the mess that I stuffed into it this morning. I decided that I'd skip lunch with my friends and go to that restaurant that I had been talking about.

They won't miss me for a day. Plus, it's just a Thursday afternoon. To my luck, I happen to have a free period after lunch, as I'm already proficient in English.

I pull my bag over my shoulder and brush my skirt down. Then, I walk out of the back door and into the Mediterranean sun.

The place is a fair bit away from the school, but I could reach it within the time that I was given.

My feet were starting the hurt in my stuffy Maryjane's by the time that I reached the quiet street that it was located on. I smile to myself in relief as I read the sign: Libeccio.

A tiny bell chimed as I opened the door, and I was soon ushered to a table in the other room. I thanked the waiter as he pulled out my seat.

"Could I have a glass of (favorite drink), please?" I requested.

The man nodded and disappeared into the back room.

I sigh, shifting my feet to try and relieve some of the pain. I'm sure that there's going to be a nice blister in the morning, hopefully the food is worth it.

A loud exclamation brings my attention to the other table in the room. It's a group of men in odd clothing. One man, in a hat, is yelling at the others.

"Just hear me out! Taking time to really think about what you're eating is connected to whether or not you're living a happy life. That's why I think it's so important!" The man in the hat said.

The three others at the table listened intently to his rambling. He paused for a moment to stuff a piece of meat into his mouth before he continued.

"So, there are animals that are carnivores, right? You know, like cats, lions, and vultures. You won't find meat from carnivores like that at a restaurant. Why is that?" He questioned while cutting the meat on his plate. "It's because they're disgusting!"

This was when the boy sitting across from the man at the table spoke up. He's wearing an orange headband, and a black strapped shirt (if you could call it a shirt at all). "I would never eat a cat!" He affirmed.

The waiter came back with my drink, the ice clattering in the crystal glass.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't know what to get, I was absorbed in my own thoughts." I apologized to the waiter, "do you recommend anything?"  I asked him.

"Hey, lady!" I heard someone call out. "Get the sweet fish!"

I furrow my eyebrows and look around. I'm the only girl in the room that I know of.

"Yeah!"

I turn to the direction of the noise. The table of men have turned their attention on me. The loud ones were staring at me expectantly, while the others sat with their chins resting on their hands.

"...Whatever they said." I declare. The waiter nods and leaves once again.

The two erupt into conversation again, the man with the hat coming to a crescendo. "So, humans would taste gross because they eat meat!" He proclaimed, slamming his fist down on the table.

The dishes on the table clattered, and the quiet ones huffed.

"That's actually rather convincing." A man with purple lipstick concedes.

This left the boy in a green suit to voice his opinion. He soon speaks.

"What about the vegetarians?" He challenged.