Chapter 2

Marinette felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned from her homework to see Luka staring straight at her.

"Psst, Marinette, look." he whispered. Marinette peered over to where her friend's finger was pointing, across the rink cafe. She let out a gasp.

"What is he doing here?" she gaped.

Luka was pointing at a handsome blonde boy with shiny green eyes, like a stunning emerald. He was in all black, except for the butterfly logo on his jacket. He was slender and sitting over at a table by himself. Adrien Agreste.

"Isn't he an active skater at Bourgeouis ice?" she asked, flinching at the name of their rival rink. Luka shrugged.

"I thought so. Maybe they're kicking people off. Ooh, maybe they'll kick off Chloe!" Luka exclaimed. Marinette through a glove at him. Just then, Alya walked over to their table.

"I dared Nino to talk to him." she said. "I bet he'll chicken out." Alya was, of course, referring to Adrien.

"Oh shoot, we're late!" Marinette exclaimed, checking her cell phone and shoving her figure skates on.

All three of them were late.

Last year, Marinette's ice dance partner, Max, had moved to New York with his mother who was now driving the New York subway, leaving Marinette partnerless. But, today that was to change. Coach Wang called her and Adrien over.

"Ms. Dupain-Cheng, I'm sure you're acquainted with Mr. Agreste?" he asked. Marinette nodded her head. "Good. He is to be your new partner."

Marinette felt her jaw drop. Was Coach Wang out of his mind? Expecting her to skate with her worst enemy's best friend? No way.

"Coach Wang, I really don't need to do ice dance, I'm already nailing singles, and I'm in junior year, which some may argue is the single most important year of one's high school career-" Marinette rambled.

"Ah, Ms. Dupain-Cheng, I was under the impression you adored ice dancing. Tis a shame." he sighed. "I suppose I must have another one of Miraculous' duos compete against Chloe Bourgeouis and Le Chein Kim-'' he started. Marinette perked up and grabbed Adrien's arm, the boy having been silent this whole conversation.

"We'll do it Coach Wang." she assured him. Adrien still looked indifferent.

"Perfect" Wang smiled "You will be doing your routine to the Overture of Chicago."

Marinette and Adrien actually skated rather well together. His height and stature matched her petiteness. His graceful way of gliding countered her clumsiness, and her energy made up for the lack thereof in Adrien.

After skating, Marinette found Adrien.

"Hey, you were really good." she said. He turned to her.

"I surprised you, huh." he said, his face solemn. She felt her cheeks flush.

"No, I-I didn't mean that at all-"

"Really? Because it certainly seemed that way."

Before Marinette could stop him, Adrien walked off. Marinette slumped. She felt awful.

It truly wasn't that she hated Adrien-she hated who and what he represented. Adrien was the son of the late Emilie Agreste, a skating legend. She went to the Olympics not once, not twice but three times. His father was Gabriel Agreste-the aloof owner of Agreste Skate Wear. Adrien had loads of skating prestige and privilege whereas Marinette's parents owned a small bakery. But it wasn't that that angered Marinette. It was where Adrien had previously skated: Bourgeois Rink.

Marinette was pushed out of her daze by a light shove on her shoulder.

"So, how's your skating with Loverboy?" Luka asked.

"Luka, I'm really not in the mood." Marinette huffed, speeding away from the boy. Luka ran to catch up with her, a concerned look on his face.

"Marinette, love, what's wrong?" he said, trailing in front of her.

"Luka, I'm fine. I just need to get home, okay?" Marinette trudged forwards harder. Luka grabbed her arm.

"I know something that'll cheer you up."

Marinette crossed her arms.

"And what on earth would that be, Couffaine?"

Luka grinned.

"Come with me."

The two ran up the stairs to the rink cafe, Marinette behind Luka. Luka turned his friend towards the counter. Marinette's jaw dropped when she saw the girl behind said counter.

"Oh my God, Kagami!"