Chapter 8

"Mari, you should wear your hair down." insisted Sabine. Marinette wrinkled her nose. Nope. Clearly, Marinette's mother saw this look. "Oh, come on Marinette. I know you practically live there, but your hair doesn't always need to look like you're at skating practice!"

"Mama!" but before Marinette could protest any further, Sabine had pulled the hair ties from her daughter's hair, causing it to flow down in beautiful waves. Then, Sabine took a pretty pastel flower from a vase, and placed it in the girl's hair. Marinette stared at herself for a minute, before smiling. Her hair was, as previously stated. Unlike usual, what with skating, she had actually bothered to put on makeup. It was also a rare occasion that she wasn't in her skating leggings and a sweatshirt, but this was one of those occasions. She wore a lacy pink blouse, and ruffled black skirt with polka dots. She had brown and black wedges on. She felt pretty-something she usually didn't. And although she didn't want to, she liked this feeling.

"I love it, Mama."

"I'm so glad! Marinette, you do know, that rather than eating at a fancy restaurant where everything is so tense and formal, you and your date could just eat at a nice bakery-"

"Mama! This is our first date, I don't want to scare her away already!"

"Oh, you! But seriously, when will we get to meet this mystery girl?"

Marinette thought about this for a second, before responding.

"Hopefully soon."

At that, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" called Tom.

"No, Papa!" she exclaimed, as she raced down the stairs. But it was too late. Kagami had already been offered a macaron. Marinette smiled apologetically at Kagami, who was grinning brightly, like she'd never had one before. Marinette linked her arm in Kagami's.

"Well, we really should be going, byee!" she smiled, before whooshing Kagami out the door. Then, she turned to her.

"I am so sorry, my parents are so very enthusiastic."

"Oh my God, Nettie, don't be sorry! Your parents are so nice, and you're lucky to have them! My mom doesn't even know I'm on a date, she thinks I'm at work." she chuckled. Marinette smiled. She knew she was lucky, it was just hard, sometimes, having such involved parents. "Let's start over then, shall we? You look divine." Kagami smirked. Marinette felt her face heat up.

"Y-you do t-too." she stammered. It was true. Kagami's hair was pushed back with a gemstone barrette. She usually had complex and beautiful makeup, and tonight was no exception, with her smokey eye and red lip, She wore a spaghetti strapped, knee length dress that slitted at the end. And, to dress it down a bit, she wore this with-combat boots. It was a look that only Kagami could pull off.

Turned out, Kagami was good at getting things by throwing her surname around. She had booked them a place at a very posh restaurant. Marinette opened the menu and was bewildered. She, the daughter of two professional bakers, had never heard of any of these foods. She turned to see that everyone else in the restaurant was rich and middle aged. She felt deeply uncomfortable.

"So...what are you getting Kagami?"

"Probably the Ortolan, you?"

"Uh...same."

"Aren't you a vegetarian?"

"Oh...yup! That's right! Couldn't eat ortilee-"

"Ortolan?"

"Yupp!"

Eeek. Well, this was awkward! Marinette ended up ordering Beluga Caviar. It was disgusting. Kagami looked equally disgusted with her-dead bird.