Chapter 9

(Luka's POV)

It seemed everyone around Luka was in love. His sister had a girlfriend. All of his friends were dating people, and even Marinette now had a girlfriend. Of course , Adrien was in the same boat as him-but Luka didn't even know what he thought of the guy. He accepted him into their group, solely because Marinette seemed to like him.

This particular afternoon, he was sitting alone in the cafe. Marinette had promised to join him, but she had spent almost twenty minutes at the counter, flirting with her girlfriend-who she'd now been dating for two weeks. Suddenly, Adrien sat across the table from Luka.

"What do you want, Agreste?"

"I fucking hate that last name."

"Really? But it makes you big in the skating world."

Adrien shrugged.

"I want to earn my legacy, not have it handed to me on a silver platter. Plus my dad is less of a dad, more of an ultimate coach."

"At least he's there."

"Hm?"

"My dad left me, Juleka and my Mom-who's great, and doesn't deserve to be treated like that."

"My mom was great too."

Luka felt a pit of...guilt. He hadn't meant to bring up the topic of mother's-he knew it was a sore one for Adrien.

"Sorry, buddy, that's rough." the moment it escaped his mouth, he regretted it. Adrien glared at him and walked away. Luka buried his face in his hands.

Luka had always sucked at talking to people. He had a sarcastic tone, one that was not always helpful. He communicated better through skating and music.

Juleka slid into the passenger seat after they'd dropped off Marinette. She was taking the earlier session now, and went home with him.

"Marinette's cool." she said as they drove. Luka nodded.

"Yeah, she's really great."

Juleka studied him for a minute.

"It's okay to be jealous, Luka. You know that, right? Our society has tried to make it seem like jealousy is evil, but it's really not. It's just...human."

Luka stared at his sister.

"You've been reading too many psychology articles. And why would I be jealous?" he chuckled as they pulled into the docs. They grabbed their respective skating bags and exited the car as they walked towards the sandy beach.

"Oh my god, Luka, Kagami? You can admit it! I know if Rose and I ever broke up. I'd be sad if she started seeing someone else!" Juleka urged. Luka jokingly pushed his sister.

"Jule, Mari is my best friend and I'm happy for her. Plus, you and Rose were made for each other."

"Okay, okay maybe Rose and I weren't the best example. Maybe like...mom and dad."

"Marinette didn't leave me with two children and a boat."

"Ughh I suck at this."

"Yes you do."
"Okay, can I be honest?"

"For once?"

"Luka!"
"Okay, okay I'm listening!"

"Mom put me up to this. She's worried about your 'soul spirit' or whatever."

Luka chuckled. That was so classically Anarka.

"Can I ask you something for myself though?"

"Anything, Jules."

"Are you happy?"

Luka hesitated.

"Complicated question-I don't really think anyone's happy-but as much as possible, yeah."

They arrived at the boat.

"Love ya Luka."

"Love ya sis"